waterproofing a M505?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omicron:
I can see it now...

"Omicrons going all in on his deco gas....and...oooooh, that's a tough break having only that Ace high...guess he's gonna have to risk the chamber."

:D
I know this is WAY off topic here....on a serious note...that could be a pretty fun outing or fund raiser...Hmmmmm.....My wheels are a turnin.....plastic cards, lead chips, a sunken picnic table, when you reach 500 PSI its all in...winner take all.....hmmmmm

That would rock. I'd be taking my doubles down with me...hehe.

Hrm...

Sounds like we gots the makings of a midwest Texas Soak'em tourney....

interesting how we went from electronics-->waterproofing a palm to cards--> underwater poker? wow just wow. again does anyone have some kool ideas todo to a m505? thx gain,

james

scubascout2000:
interesting how we went from electronics-->waterproofing a palm to cards--> underwater poker? wow just wow. again does anyone have some kool ideas todo to a m505? thx gain,

james

Yeah that happens..... Best advice would be try a Vacum bag or a couple of Condoms.....take it down 15-30 feet and see if it will work. Water proofing is easy, but the screen is pressure activated by your stylus. The water pressure may warp the screen and/or the case, so a small ridged frame or tray made from a PVC end cap or a cut down and de-burred electrical juncton box may be needed.

IMO I would pick up a cheap refurbed Palm Zire for $50 From Palm One to experiment with instead of risking my nice model. Even though it would be "cool" to take it down, there are no real practical applications you could use underwater. Note taking with Graffiti on a palm is tough enough on dry land...Constructing your own DIY Wetnotes or a slate is easier and less expensive because if they spring a leak you wont lose your data...

There have been a few Ideas posted here.....Have you tried any of them yet???

*Sidenote* did you try that Excel divelog I PM you????

ScubaToneDog:
Yeah that happens..... Best advice would be try a Vacum bag or a couple of Condoms.....take it down 15-30 feet and see if it will work. Water proofing is easy, but the screen is pressure activated by your stylus. The water pressure may warp the screen and/or the case, so a small ridged frame or tray made from a PVC end cap or a cut down and de-burred electrical juncton box may be needed.

IMO I would pick up a cheap refurbed Palm Zire for $50 From Palm One to experiment with instead of risking my nice model. Even though it would be "cool" to take it down, there are no real practical applications you could use underwater. Note taking with Graffiti on a palm is tough enough on dry land...Constructing your own DIY Wetnotes or a slate is easier and less expensive because if they spring a leak you wont lose your data...

There have been a few Ideas posted here.....Have you tried any of them yet???

*Sidenote* did you try that Excel divelog I PM you????
yeah it works thx much and ill try a few other ideas mabey pick up an older model palm from a pawn shop and use it as a tester. unless anyone has an old one they are willing to send me....for the sake of scuba and palm users EVERYWHERE!!!!

That would be the only tricky part, is the screen. If you put it in a hard case, you can't use the screen and stylus. If you put it in a soft waterproof bag, the whole screen will be "activated". Good luck with whatever you try.

would anyone be willing to give me a old palm of thiers or mabey an old type of PDA?? (SONY CLIE) or w/e... thx for everything...

thx,
james

scubascout2000:
would anyone be willing to give me a old palm of thiers or mabey an old type of PDA?? (SONY CLIE) or w/e... thx for everything...

thx,
james

There's old Palm III's and Vxx's on eBay all the time for under $25.

Hmmm - I wonder if one of those add-on GPS's would work underwater.....

Steve

sjspeck:
Hmmm - I wonder if one of those add-on GPS's would work underwater.....
Seriously? It'd be nice, but I don't think so. GPS signals are seriously absorbed, I understand, by moisture. That's the primary reason GPSs can't acquire signals well under even tree leaf canopies... it's not the leaves, but the moisture in them.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom