Waterproof W3 vs W5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DagrScuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all... I currently have a waterproof w30 for tropical diving and love it, but would like to move up... Considering the older w3 or the newer w5. They seem quite different. Opinions? Thoughts between the two?

W3 has the soft fleece lining, but no pocket pad. W5 has stretchier neoprene and pad spot, but no internal lining.

Thanks!
-Dagr

I have the W3 and love it. I dove Blackbeards livaboard in the Bahamas Feb/Mar and was fine in just the W3 and a LavaCore hood. I find it sufficiently stretchy but I am toward the smaller end overall because my limiting size is shoulders/chest in most cuts. Lining is great but does take time more time to dry compared to my old Henderson GoldCore (smooth). I imagine the W5 may be a faster dryer at the expense maybe of some loss of warmth. I would look at the pockets and see if there is enough space in there to be a significant differentiator. I have 2 large utility pockets on my Batwaist-belt for warmer diving.

But it (and the W5) are only 3.5mm compared to the 2.5mm of the W30. Are you looking for a quantum step up in warmth? I would consider adding a vest (or hooded vest) first for maximum flexibility. I have a LavaCore vest for a quick bump.

Then step up to a 5mm W4 or W7 if you are looking for significantly more warmth.

ETA: Whoops. I was noodling around the waterproof site and failed to consider that you may have the shorty rather than a full W30. So a Full 3.5 should be a quantum step up from a 2.5 shorty.

I have the W3 and love it. I dove Blackbeards livaboard in the Bahamas Feb/Mar and was fine in just the W3 and a LavaCore hood. I find it sufficiently stretchy but I am toward the smaller end overall because my limiting size is shoulders/chest in most cuts. Lining is great but does take time more time to dry compared to my old Henderson GoldCore (smooth). I imagine the W5 may be a faster dryer at the expense maybe of some loss of warmth. I would look at the pockets and see if there is enough space in there to be a significant differentiator. I have 2 large utility pockets on my Batwaist-belt for warmer diving.

But it (and the W5) are only 3.5mm compared to the 2.5mm of the W30. Are you looking for a quantum step up in warmth? I would consider adding a vest (or hooded vest) first for maximum flexibility. I have a LavaCore vest for a quick bump.

Then step up to a 5mm W4 or W7 if you are looking for significantly more warmth.

ETA: Whoops. I was noodling around the waterproof site and failed to consider that you may have the shorty rather than a full W30. So a Full 3.5 should be a quantum step up from a 2.5 shorty.

My w30 is a full suit. I'm not really looking for more warmth. In cold water I dove a w4 7mm and loved all the little extra features. Zip ankles and wrists, seals, etc. I guess I'm just thinking of having a fancier version of what I have now and trying to distinguish between the two.

Thanks for the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom