Waterborne Strap Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamar Jr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just purchased a Waterborne strap online for my Vyper computer. Now that I have it in hand, I have to admit rather sheepishly that I'm confused by the the extra "short" strap.

Obviously the long primary strap threads through the pins of the Vyper (or through the boot if you prefer), just like any other one- piece band. Easy enough, but this is where the confusion begins. It appears to me the short strap goes under the computer, and then the long strap threads through the two loops on the end of the short strap, then wraps around your wrist and attaches at the buckle.

My question is, what purpose does the short strap have??? It seems to me that the long strap alone would do the job just fine. Am I missing something here?

I know it's only a watch band, but this thing should come with an owners manual!

They had too many Foster's when they designed it. Anyway, from what I remember, the watch itself goes on the short band and then the long one goes behind it and threads through the two SS rings.

Yes, yes, yes.....an aussie conspiracy to make my brain hurt from thinking too hard, with the end result that I'll need to drink a Fosters or two. It's part of their plot to sell more beer.

O-ring, If I attach the computer to the short strap, and put the long strap on the bottom, then the buckle is upside down making it almost impossible to fasten, and the four metal rings (two on each side) are also facing down, pressing into my wrist. This method just doesn't seem logical or make sense to me.... but then again nothing about the short strap is logical or makes sense to me.....hummmmm.

Maybe I'll go have that Fosters right now while I think about this some more.

My band is an "australian" watchband, but isn't Waterborne brand and it works the way I described. Maybe one of us has a non-australian band and that is the source of our confusion. Are the kiwis making bands that are similar but with backward buckles and rings??

I cut mine off. Before I did, I ran it under the computer (and watch, they suckered me for two) and threaded the remaining strap through the loops, double-locked (down through both, then up through the top one and out).

I THINK the purpose is to keep the watch from slipping around on the band, but my wrists are so small that the watch was much too bulky... and the doubling back took up that last bit of length I needed on the Vyper to get it to fit over my drysuit.

You'll find good visual instructions on how to install the strap here. Good luck.

Thanks for the link Elvis.

At least now I have validation that I have installed this thing the way it was intended. Unfortunately, still doesn't directly answer the question "what purpose does the short strap serve?" Probably RichLockyer is right, it simply limits how far the watch or computer can, in theory, slide around on the band. In my opinion, its sole function is to make the band look a little cooler with the extra set of rings on there.

My understanding of the short strap's purpose is that it is meant to prevent you losing the watch if one of the posts were to break or fall out during a dive. The strap would stay attached to the remaining post.

Elvis Maximus once bubbled...
My understanding of the short strap's purpose is that it is meant to prevent you losing the watch if one of the posts were to break or fall out during a dive. The strap would stay attached to the remaining post.
The long strap feeds under both pins, just like the old velcro "surfer" bands that we used when we were in high school. Both pins have to fall out for the watch to drop... the short strap does nothing for security while the watch is on your wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom