water up nose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodiBB:
Jeffrey....you didn't find that putting your head down caused the bubbles to go up your nose??

I guess tomorrow (I'm giving my body the day off today) I'm going into the bathtub and trying different ways to breathe off the snorkle without my mask...practice makes perfect I guess!

I am determined NOT to allow this to stop me from diving!!
It might not work for every one but it works for me.
During my pool dives I went from panicked to confident by doing this.
My instructor suggested tilting my head back but this made the problem much worse.
Just keep trying till you figure out what works for you.
Jeffrey

I'll be trying much of these suggestions today in my bathtub (don't have access to a pool :06:) ! I'll let you know how it works out!!

Okay...update

I went into my VERY SMALL bathtub and filled it up as high as I could go...I could only do this exercise face down (which makes sense anyway because I'll be SCUBA diving with my stomach to the floor bottom anyway)...

I can breathe fine through the snorkel with just my nose and mouth in the water...did it for several minutes in fact! But every time I tried to dunk the rest of my head in 1 of 2 things happened:

1) My eyes began to sting like crazy! (Which is strange, even for me)...didn't matter if my eyes were opened or closed...
2) The roof of my mouth began to sting badly, which resulted in water getting into my throat...resulting in me swallowing water (which is obviously counterindicated)...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Feedback? I obviously can't try to clear my mask in this shallow level of water correctly...but I've passed that part of this exercise easily on several occasions, so this isn't the issue for me...it's being underwater for a minute without the mask!!

Help?? :(

Practice the sucking through a straw trick mentioned above. This teaches you the "seal off the nasal passage" valve operation. Alternatively, practice sucking air through your mouth with your lips in a small "o" shape. Practice this sitting in the water with your snorkel on. Once you get proficient at that, submerge your nose and do it. Practice practice practice!

bgi...I'll try that...thanks!!

I also emailed my instructor who ensured me that she'll take me shallow next week and help me through it if I can't master it myself by our next confined pool dive...

I'd love to see what tub diving looks like !

Thanks

JodiBB:
Okay...update

I went into my VERY SMALL bathtub and filled it up as high as I could go...I could only do this exercise face down (which makes sense anyway because I'll be SCUBA diving with my stomach to the floor bottom anyway)...

I can breathe fine through the snorkel with just my nose and mouth in the water...did it for several minutes in fact! But every time I tried to dunk the rest of my head in 1 of 2 things happened:

1) My eyes began to sting like crazy! (Which is strange, even for me)...didn't matter if my eyes were opened or closed...
2) The roof of my mouth began to sting badly, which resulted in water getting into my throat...resulting in me swallowing water (which is obviously counterindicated)...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Feedback? I obviously can't try to clear my mask in this shallow level of water correctly...but I've passed that part of this exercise easily on several occasions, so this isn't the issue for me...it's being underwater for a minute without the mask!!

Help?? :(

navy diver:
If you press your tongue to the roof of your mouth it closes your nose off try that.
We tried that...I can still easily breathe out my nose even with my tongue pressed to the top of the roof of my mouth...

I've had a couple of pool sessions and am having the exact same issue! We're you able to find a method that worked for you? Any tips? I really want to get certified but so far I can seem to get past this.... Thanx

Back
Top Bottom