Water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a mod should split the Tobermory question since it's a completely different area with completely different water temps and considerations?

For Tobermory, you would need at least a 2 piece 7 mm full wetsuit, hood and gloves or a drysuit. The deep wrecks will still be in the low to mid 40's in August.

The best wrecks depend on your cert level and deep cold diving experience. The "best" wrecks are the Forest City (150 feet) and the Arabia (110 feet), but the dive shop normally needs to check your log book and be familiar with your diving before you're "allowed" to do them since they're challenging, extremely cold, deep and can have current. You usually have to show significant cold, deep, similar diving experience to do those two. The Niagara II (100 feet) is a favourite as is the Philo Scoville and King. Carolina Rose and Minch are ok. The Caves are shallow and fun. Flowerpot Island is hard to get to, but is a neat dolomite wall dive. All of it is very clear but very cold.

I prefer Diver's Den in Tobermory, but other great shops are G & S Watersports and Tobermory Aquasports.

Good luck and have fun! :)

What she said about Tobermory temps. Two weekends ago the surface 20 ft of water was up to 51F degrees at the Tugs, then back to the usual 39F on the Forest City at depth.

If you go on the Divers Den website you'll see temperatures listed, but keep in mind the deeper wrecks will stay cold.

Thanks Ayisha, very helpful. I've never dived in Canada only in the tropics. If I decide to go ahead, I'll limit the depth and see if I can rent or even buy a used 7mm.

Hi Bob, you can definitely rent a full 2 piece wetsuit plus other gear from any of the shops in Toby or elsewhere in Ontario. You can buy used gear as well. Check on OntarioDiving, Scuba 2000 The Diving Board and also eBay.

You can keep to the shallow wrecks fairly easily as well in Toby. The Wetmore and Sweepstakes are shallow, warm and decent. The Tugs and, I believe it's the Alice G, are shallow shore dives. Dave's Bay and the Lighthouse are pretty easy shore dives. All of the above are used for training o/w students.

You can also gain experience in cold water in other areas in Ontario before you go to Toby, such as rivers and quarries. You can practice with the deep cold dives on wrecks in Lake Ontario, such as the Sligo in Toronto or many in Kingston or on the Tiller to the west.

Many of us did our first o/w dives in Toby on the above mentioned wrecks that training is typically conducted on/near, so those wrecks and the mid-range ones would be appropriate for probably any certified diver on their early cold water dives. There are many wrecks to see, so you can look at it as an excuse to go back... :)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice.

Wow, cold water diving is very different to tropical diving - so much to learn!
Did 4-dives at Tobermory with my daughter Janie:

1. Truellen - c-o-l-d (fist time)
2. Wetmore - relaxed/nice dive
3. King - very challenging - beyond my comfort level.
4. Newaygo - fun/easy

Was challenged not just by the cold and additional equipment but buoyancy issues.
Cold water diving is indeed very different - you guys have my respect!

Dived with Divers Den - very helpful!

Will return next summer!

Thanks again - Finbob (Bob)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom