Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donostler

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for all of the good information I have recieved so far from all of you on this board. One last important question- what rae the water temps at the Kona dive sites. Will a 3 mil shortie do the trick? I'll be there in two more weeks ! Thanks again.

Right now you are looking 75-77. I could jump a degree or two in the next few weeks. Most people are wearing 3 mil fulls, but depending on your size and cold tolerance, a shorty would be fine. Slender women and smaller men tend to get cold even in a full 3 mil right now.

Frankly, I wouldn't dive in less than a full 5mil anymore in Hawaii. Last August when the water temps were 78-80 degrees, I was cold at the end of a week of daily diving in a 3mil. Then again, my husband was fine in his full 3mil, and we saw lots of folks in t-shirts and shorts diving.

I'd say if you're going to dive a lot (daily), step up the exposure protection. If you're only going to dive a few times, the shorty should be fine.

I'm on Maui, not Kona, but yesterday vis was 75ft+ off shore in an area where it is normally 30ft... it's been the best dive weather of the past year imo.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. as far as exposure suit - it just depends on how cold you get - I am currently wearing a 5/3 and still get chilled on most every dive... time to go back to the drysuit for me brrr :wink:

donostler:
Thanks...what the viz like now?
Viz is good right now, not great, but it will always be good enough.
I am skinny so I am wearing a full 5mm, if you have some extra flesh I wouldn't buy a 5mm just for this trip. The full 3mm will be fine. If you get cold easily you can bring a hood or buy one here. Most of the shops have beanies and hooded vests.

I have to chime in too, I wear a 5mil full suit with a 5mil vest/hood. 5mil booties and 2mil gloves. I'm good now =).

Oahu vis toady was 100 plus. Forgot to check temp but I was fine and I usualy get a little cool down deep with a 3mm full. The advice to buy a hood if you need one is a solid idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom