water temps in coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive a microprene but some dive 3mm fulls to shorty. Temps will be high 70's to low 80's

[BTW, you will notice that the Scuba Diving Destinations Mexico forum has a subsection for Cozumel. As such, I have taken the liberty of moving your inquiry to that more appropriate location.]

Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "7mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect Coz water temps are running 79 plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp I'd take a 3mm full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up. Also, take a hood or beanie.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Water temp was 81 degrees on my computer yesterday. Back in Feb. i was getting a 80 degree reading. Lots of topside wind from the south east lately making some of the more southern sites a bit rough.

I suspect that your computer thermometer is reading a few degrees high. At no time in Feb did water temps at depth reach 80 degrees.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

As Dr. V. says, cold is highly subjective. However, several people with 3mm suits were shivering after the 2nd dive last Saturday and the week before that as well.

I am not one to get cold easily, as I am well, padded, but I believe in March a 5mm full length suit was the way to go, unless of course, you are shore diving the shallows.

Even there, you want a 3mm full length suit, because there are jellyfish at some locations.

I don't zip up my suit until I am on the boat near the dive site, to avoid heat and dehydration. On the ride back, I have a nylon jacket which goes over my suit, to avoid the cooling effect of the spray and wick effect. It looks funny bringing a jacket on board, but I tell you, lots of people look at it with envy on the ride back.

Just got back a few days ago. Temps were around... uh... upper 70's for the non-metric types. Wore a full 3mm and at no time did I feel cold. Can't imagine wanting a 5mm. Never felt like I needed a jacket on the surface either. But like the man said, everyone has their own level of heat/cold tolerance.

One thing I have noticed, is that on the occasions that I do feel an unexpected chill it's usually when I haven't eaten for a while. Having something to eat usually gets my system back up to speed fairly quickly.

glbirch--yes, very upper 70's is where Coz scuba temps are now & have been for some weeks.

Crispos--what temps were you logging last Sat?

Hope that you both had fun.

DocVikingo

Water temps today read 79/80 at Palancar and Tormentos respectively.

Happy Easter!

DocVikingo:
glbirch--yes, very upper 70's is where Coz scuba temps are now & have been for some weeks.

Crispos--what temps were you logging last Sat?

Hope that you both had fun.

DocVikingo

Had a great time, as always. Daughter's first trip and while she doesn't dive, we took her to Chankanaab and after a day of snorkelling she's pretty much sold on the idea of scuba.

Back
Top Bottom