Water Temps in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I will be making a trip to the El Galleon Resort from the end of July to the beginning of August and I am wondering what the water temp should be. I have read anything from 75 to 85 deg F.

At 75 I think I will need a 3mm full, but at 85 either a 3mm shorty or shorts and a shirt. I hear we will be able to do 4 dives a day and I don't want to get cold as the week goes on.

Thanks

75F!!!! Woohhh - that's full dry suit weather :)

The water temp around Aug should be a stable 28/29 Celsius so a 3mm will work fine, a shorty should also be more than adequate although I'd say go for the full 3mm if you're doing 4 dives a day as even 29C starts to feel cold eventually.... Plus you get the extra protection against the stingers which always seem to be around if you wear a shorty!

Obviously if you're planning on going deeper the temperature will be a bit lower, but even down at 50-60m in PG I wouldn't expect it to be much below 25/26C at that time of year.

Karl

Agree with full 3m wetsuit. You might want to use a hood if you're doing 3-4 dives a day for added protection from the cold, that is if you're comfortable using one.

In Anilao, water temp was supposed to be the 'hottest' last weekend, it was 26C but got a little chilly in the afternoon. Current was unforgiving.

TBH, you can probably manage with just a rash guard in August...

I am in the minority here, but I generally dont use a wet suit when I dive, I use a Dive Skin, I have enough natural insulation to keep me warm, plus I am fairly active under the water.
The real reason I bring it up is the dive op your going to use more than likely has a good variety of rental wetsuits available, and that will save you a few pounds on your baggage allowance, which can come in handy when you load up on gifts/souveniers to take home from the Philippines.

Cheers,
Roger

Last year I went to Barbados and the water was 84f everywhere and I dove in shorts and a t-shirt and it was nice.

As of now I have no plans to go to 60m, maybe someday but that will be a long way away.

I am also very used to a hood, last weekend the water was 55F at 50 ft (~17m). I always dive a full 7mm with gloves and a hood at home.

Thanks for the information!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom