Water temps at depth - Pompano / Boca wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading to Florida next week for a course in the Pompano Beach / Boca Raton area and will diving the Capt Dan, Rodeo 25, and maybe the Hydro Atlantic (to about 150'). I'm trying to decide what exposure gear (wetsuit) to bring. The inter web says water temperatures at the surface are mid 80's, but what should I expect at 100 or 150' this time of year?
Many thanks!
-Don

I'm heading to Florida next week for a course in the Pompano Beach / Boca Raton area and will diving the Capt Dan, Rodeo 25, and maybe the Hydro Atlantic (to about 150'). I'm trying to decide what exposure gear (wetsuit) to bring. The inter web says water temperatures at the surface are mid 80's, but what should I expect at 100 or 150' this time of year?
Many thanks!
-Don
Looked at my logs from May of 2013 at Pompano Beach. I was getting about 67 degrees F. between 150 and 250 fsw. At 130 - it was about 70 F.

Keep in mind that unless your doing some sort of deep dive training with mixed gases you won't be going down to 150'.
As for the water temperature change you can sometimes hit thermoclines that will drop the water temperature by 10º or so but at this time of year you shouldn't encounter much more of a temperature difference.
Expect temperatures to be around 82º at the surface with maybe a drop to 78º at an extreme depth of 130' (rec limit).
I dive without a wetsuit at this time of year but a 3mm wetsuit couldn't hurt if you're concerned about getting cold.
I tend to overheat if I wear a wetsuit on a day with hot air temps and not much relief from the surrounding water temps.
I carry an extra layer of blubber to keep me warm throughout the entire year so that maybe a reason for the overheating. :rofl3:

Thanks for the info - that's really helpful. I carry a thick layer of bioprene, too, but for this wreck course I'll want a full suit. From what you said about temps I'll be fine in a 3mm full. And it's a deco procedures course, and the last dive is supposed to be on the Atlantic Hydro, so I guess that means deeper than 130'. I'll know better next week.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom