Water temperature in Bali/Komodo in mid/late September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings--

Just finalizing dive plans for Bali/Komodo, and one of the two couples brought up a good point tonight--

What is the water temperature for Bali/Komodo in Mid-September 15-25th?)

i.e. what type of protection is required? A skin? 3 mil? 5 mil? Hot chocolates with marshmallows?

It makes a difference packing-- Denver is a LONG way away from Indonesia.

Thanks!

R.

There is no consistant temperature all around Bali, it will depend on the area.
Typically Tulamben is 28°, while Padang Bai can drop down to 23-24°, Crystal bay/Nusa Penida is known for freezing temps like 20-21°

Personally I dive with a 5mm and sometimes add a Sharkskin underneath.

We haven't been before and are going next month. I'm bringing a 5/3mm and a 3mm. My husband is bringing a 7mm farmer john with a jacket (just wearing the jacket in the warmer temps). He is always cold while I tend to run on the warmer side.

Check with your dive ops, too. We noticed that some of the places we are diving with include gear rental with the dive cost whether you need it or not. You could ask ahead about a different wetsuit to borrow (or the cost of a rental) if you end up needing one.

Thanks-- please report back what worked? I'm fairly cold blooded, but the ladies like to be warm!

Water temps range from just fine to absolutely freezing to death. Often you hit the surface and think, "Oh, this is pretty nice." Then, about a 16 meters you see the shimmering, blurry layer of frigid upwelling fast approaching. My usual first thoughts are, "Good grief. Aint no mola mola worth this kind of misery." As much as I hate It has taken me years to finally accept the fact that standard Bali diving gear should include a 5 mil and something on your head. Although it is usually warm, I was in Tulamben a few weeks ago and was cold in a 3 mil and hood as we found water as low as 24 degrees. Right then and there I decided I was never diving Bai again without a 5 mil and hooded vest. For Padang Bai, Komodo and Lembongan I will schlep along a 3 mil shorty to layer just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom