Water temperature and Viz in Fiji in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I know there are no promises when it comes to diving conditions, but... From my research, Fiji has two season with pros and cons to each. If you want warmer water, you get less viz and, obviously, visa versa. If one tried to "spit the baby" and go during sort of the shoulder season, like May, what might he expect in terms of water temp and viz? Second, how cold is cold during the April to Nov period? Some sites tell me that the temperatures are between 76 and 79, others say low 70s and one even said high 60s. Anybody have actual experience that they'd wish to share? We're trying to plan a group trip and, as usual, some prioritize warm water and some prioritize visibility.
Thanks.

Rob

For what it is worth:

You will need to read through a number of pages for all of the relevant info you are looking for. I think the water temp and topside temp were ideal on this trip and visibility could have been better and I am sure it is at other times of year, but still pretty awesome. My friends are looking at going back in August which apparently has better visibility and colder water temps, but prior to the heavy rains and humidity. Also should be ideal, but will need more wetsuit, I think.

I just returned from 2.5 weeks (August 4th - 22nd) in Fiji. My husband and I spent 9 days diving Rainbow Reef from Taveuni and 6 days from Volivoli. The lowest water temp I recorded was 77, most dives were 79. We were both comfortable in our 5mm suits, although we did get a bit cold towards the end and started wearing our hood/cap. We tend to be pretty wimpy, though, and rarely (if ever) dive in less than 5mm, so take that as you will. Others on the boats seemed fine in 3mm, some were diving in shorties, and some were only in rash guards & bathing suits. Vis out on Rainbow Reef was pretty good - 60-80+ feet. Unfortunately, for the first 4 days we were at Volivoli there were unusually high, consistent winds that kept us from getting out to the Vatu-i-Ra park. The sites we dove closer to the resort had pretty poor vis (sometimes as low as 20ft). Once the wind died down and we made it out to the park, the vis drastically improved and was similar or better to what we saw on Rainbow Reef. The sites in the marine park (especially Mellow Yellow & Potluck) were some of our favorites of the trip and made the 4 days of mediocre diving before worth it! In general, Fiji exceeded our expectations - the corals were in great shape and beautiful!

Thank you both for the helpful information. I’ll let our LDS leader know that May-June should work to provide decent temps and viz for the group. No promises but it sounds good.
Thanks again.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom