Water temp in late Oct -- La Nina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterWeenie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I was just reading a newspaper article here in San Jose about La Nina conditions in the Pacific (cooler water than normal). It was related to how much rain and snow we can expect here in NoCal, but it got me thinking about water temp in Hawaii in late Oct.

Have you noticed a drop in water temp and what can we expect in late October? High 70s?

I'm thinking 5mm shortie for me a full 5mm for my wife, who tends to chill easily. Thoughts?

If your wife chills easily, I would definitely bring the 5mm full for her. For you, if you have it already, a 3mm full. I have friends who dive year round in a 5mm full and they describe as diving in a comforter. Always warm and toasty underwater, but they prefer it!

Depends on how long you're going to be in the water. If you are doing deep (short) boat dives you may not need anything. If you do 2 hr shore dives then you'll definitely need a 5. Most folks are happy with a 3 or 3/2. Works for me for an hour or so. I'd not think of an extended shore dive with less than a 5.

M

Thanks for the information. Glad to see the water temps are going to be nice and warm.

We are renting gear there so we will request a full 5mm for her and either a full 3mm or 5mm shortie for me.

Not many 5mm shorties in the island rental pool (possibly none), and only slightly more womans 5mm fulls (usually signifigant others suits, not really rentals), so sizes are an issue. The usual solution is 3mm full and shorty, which may cause zipper squeeze. A few operators have 3mm long sleeve shorties, possibly worn over 3mm farmer johns (or janes). Most divers that want 5mm have/bring their own. The only way to make sure is to make prior arrangements.

That's good info. For some reason, I recall getting a 5mm shortie a couple years ago on Maui. But that's probably old-age memory talking.

We are diving one day with Trilogy out of Lanai and two days with B&B out of Kihei.

I will call them to see what they have. 3mm full will be fine for me if water temp is ~80. I know my wife will want more than that. She starts getting cold in 15 minutes of snorkeling!

Based on Helemano's info, I'd get and bring a hood for the wife. If she winds up with a 3mm , it may make all the difference!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom