Water Temp. in Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Remind me to not pack on his suggestions :11:

Glad you've joined us. Here is a link to a buoy on the other side of the Gulf Strema - showing water temps on the surface today from 71 to 74F, expect cooler at depth. I might have been okay in my 5 mil last month in Key Largo, but I was happy in the 7 mil jumpsuit.

:zorros: don

Cooler at depth?? :huh:
within recreation limits the temp off of Grand Bahama is usually the same top to bottom. There is a thermocline. It's deeper than most people dive.

Tavi:
Cooler at depth?? :huh:
within recreation limits the temp off of Grand Bahama is usually the same top to bottom. There is a thermocline. It's deeper than most people dive.
Oh, didn't mean thermocline - never noticed one in the Carib, Florida, or Bahama waters, but it's often been a littel cooler on the 100+ ft dives I thought? Could be my memory...?

FWIW, last month off San Salvador, Bahamas, the water temp was 73-75. Last March off Nassau it was 73. I only had a 3-mil wetsuit and I froze!

Deborah

Welcome to the board. The links El Orans and Tavi posted are some great places to start.

Hey Tavi, thanks for the link. I made it one of my Favorites.

Hi,

My husband and I are heading there tomorrow. I'll post the temps when we get back. We are also going to Stuart Cove.

I'm packing my full 3mil along with my 3mil hooded vest. I sure hope it's enough!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Did you wear a hood? If so what mm was it. Thanks so much for responding.

Heading to the Turks and Caicos on Monday - do you think the water will be significantly warmer than in the Bahamas? (73... brrr!) I was planning on only wearing a 3mm but am concerned now that won't be enough.... Does anyone have any good sites to check the temps in T&C?

I will be in the Bahamas in mid March. Now being promarily a NE Jersey wreck dive that gets cold easily and only has a 3mm and a CF200.....Would I look totally crazy in a dry suit?? From what I heard it is typically 72-73 and the dive masters are in 5mm suits. Now I have been to NC in a 3mm and it was low 70's and I was cold after 40 minutes. So...the question is do I get a 5mm to be safe otr just take my drysuit? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

My computer registered 73 degrees at depth yesterday (Feb 3rd) on the shark dive with Stuart Cove's. There was a slight thermocline at around 30 fsw, you even could see the shimmer as you got close to it, but it was mild, only a few degrees. We wore 3mm hooded vests under our 3mm full wetsuits and were very comfortable. Most wore just a 3mm full and were fine but we were doing eight dives in two days so the added insulation was worth it.

The shark feed was a blast. I can see how people could get bored with it if they've done it a couple of times where you just sit there watching. But if you've never done it before it's well worth it. Our DM/feeder got bit, which happens regularly, only this time penetrated the chainmail of his glove. He got a small cut on his thumb and one tooth punctured his thumb nail and lodged removing the tooth from the shark.

As much as some find the feeding thing bad for the natural behavior of the sharks I saw that it did serve a useful purpose. Some of the sharks had hooks in their mouths from fishermen and the feeder was able to cut the rigging free so that it couldn't get caught on anything. The hook that was left will rust out within a couple of weeks from there.

Have fun I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I'm writing this as I wait for my ride to the airport so if you do PM me I won't see it until tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom