Water in tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74:
I went to my LDS to get my steel 95 tanks Nitrox filled the other day and found out that they wouldn't be ready in time for my upcoming trip since the blender has been very sick. The pre-mix was too low to fill mine and my tanks aren't O2 clean. My best friend and the dive shop manager suggested another shop that they work with often. I took them to the other shop and the guy told me that though they do bank Eanx 32, but they require all tanks to be O2 cleaned, which he could do in time. I'm going to Gilboa and understand they only do partial pressure and wanted them O2 cleaned anyway so I said sure. The tanks I got were just hydro'd/vis'd at the beginning of the summer and I've only had them in the water a few times. I get a call today and the guy told me that there was a bit of water and decent amount of rust in the tanks. He also said the one was pitted. He said they needed shipped out to be tumbled and would not be ready for this weekend. The cost was minimal but what bothers me is I have no idea how the water got in the tanks. The guy that does the work at my normal shop and did the hydro/vis does not make mistakes, especially like that. The tanks go on a drying rack for a couple days upside down just to make sure there is no water in it. The tanks have never been below 800 psi either. The guy at the new shop also called my normal shop yesterday and made a bit about the dive shop manager's best friend coming to him for service (though he knows the state of the service guy at my shop and why I was there).

Is it me or am I getting burned here? Or, is there another way water could get in without me knowing. The tanks were always filled at my shop and I know the kind of business they run, very clean and the compressors are always taken care of. I also know my best friend would be on top of it if there was a problem since he is the manager and also gets his tanks filled there too.

*frustrated* :bash: :mad1:

Daryl

This dosn't sound good, I think your getting screwed.

darylm74:
Hmmm, they do put them in water and the last person who filled them (with air) was a newbie at it. That could have been the situation. She's also a very good friend (i.e. at my house hanging with my wife 3 or 4 times a week) so touchy with pointing fingers there.........but point well taken.
There's your water source. There is no reason to put tanks in a room-temperature water bath while they are being filled. I'm still amazed everytime I see this messy, sloppy setup. A lot of places that do this will also dry-fill them outside of the tank if you request it.
I pumped and inspected a ton of tanks while I was a shop monkey. Almost all of the tanks, shop tanks and regular customers, I also inspected and never encountered any water in them even though it was a water-bath shop.
Your shop should give you 10 free fills for their mistake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom