Water in tank from Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don't know what your relationship with the shop was, but personally id be a bit pi**ed. if youre in contact with them right now i would certainly try to get some form of compensation from them. i know my (dear to my heart) shop here in san diego went out of business this last summer and they were the absolute best about trying to make things right with their customers.

I knew these guys for 2 weeks before I gave them my tanks. Used them over my regular shop because I recently bought a transplate from them and they were really responsive with all my request and purchases.

The only problem with getting compensation is how much is that one tank worth? And is it really worth fighting over give or take 150 bucks. I would like to get a 40 out of him though.

That does suck. Unfortunately if they went under the owners are likely busted and even qa judgment in small claims might never get paid. Best to press directly and see if he has a heart, otherwise bite the bullet and move on. Hope it works out. Gotta love those steel bottles!

Or a whipping with a DIY stainless steel cable whip.

Without aggravating factors, like salt water, heat, or high PO2s, it takes water a long time to seriously damage a steel tank. My guess would be that the tanks will be OK given a bit of cleaning.

Keep us posted.

A little rust doesn't spell disaster, a little tumble might be all that they need.

Get them tumbled, it should be less than $10/tank at the place that hydro-tested them, then bring them to another dive shop for VIP. Actually, the hydro place might be able to do that too.

Regarding the galvanizing, you're not talking about hot galvanizing, are you? That would condemn the tanks. There's a good product called ZRC cold galvanizing that sprays on and works very well. I have a few LP72s that were originally paint over galvanizing, so I stripped the paint (very easy as most paint doesn't stick to galvanizing) then very lightly sanded them and put a few coats of this ZRC on them. It worked great, a year later the tanks look fine. They can get dinged up a little and the cold galvanizing really works.

Just be sure you don't take it to a shop that insists a tank must be hydroed after tumbling. They might then return it to you wet, and you could be caught in an endless loop!

Seriously, be sure they don't. There are some that automatically hydro any tank they have tumbled, even though it is not required anywhere in the DOT regulations.

Will do about the tumbling hopefully its not that bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom