Water in my BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It maybe a silly question. Can I fill in the bc with water to compensate the weight during safety stop? I usually use 3 lbs but many said that I should use 2 lbs based on my size/weight. I tried with 2 lbs but I had a bit difficult to to get neutral during safety stop when the tank is around 50 bar or below. I wonder if i fill my bcd with water in purpose to get a better weighting at the end of my dive? Is this okay?

It maybe a silly question. Can I fill in the bc with water to compensate the weight during safety stop? I usually use 3 lbs but many said that I should use 2 lbs based on my size/weight. I tried with 2 lbs but I had a bit difficult to to get neutral during safety stop when the tank is around 50 bar or below. I wonder if i fill my bcd with water in purpose to get a better weighting at the end of my dive? Is this okay?
Not a silly question at all. But if you consider that the density of the water inside your BCD is the same as the water outside, you’ll see that it should make no difference. btw, congratulations on only needing 3 pounds.

Not a silly question at all. But if you consider that the density of the water inside your BCD is the same as the water outside, you’ll see that it should make no difference. btw, congratulations on only needing 3 pounds.

Why is needing a certain amount of weight worth congratulations?

A lessened amount of weight shows an advancement in one's comfort level.
This is a great moment for newbies.
This generally allows for longer bottom times as well.

Just to add a tip, after the dive and rinsing the interior with fresh water, I add some Listerine to reduce any possible bacterial growth. I also pour some Listerine into the second stages of my reg after rinsing and leave it there for a couple of hours, tastes better when using the reg later.

I do not work for Johnson & Johnson

A lessened amount of weight shows an advancement in one's comfort level.
This is a great moment for newbies.
This generally allows for longer bottom times as well.
Less weight doesn't imply any such thing, without further information. The only thing it implies is the person is more negative than may be average. Now, if the person started with 15 and is now using 3, your statement would be more accurate.

I would say congratulations because it sucks having to carry a ton of lead. I vary from no weight to 16 pounds depending upon water temps and I much prefer the no weight dives as far as getting geared up.

Maybe try to notice if you are keeping the inflator open after the BCD's internal air pressure is spent. Water might be entering your BCD as you are trying to deflate an already empty BCD.

Great advice. For some reason I have never considered this, and am certain I do it regularly.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Just to add a tip, after the dive and rinsing the interior with fresh water, I add some Listerine to reduce any possible bacterial growth. I also pour some Listerine into the second stages of my reg after rinsing and leave it there for a couple of hours, tastes better when using the reg later...

Would this in some way affect the durability of the BC/Second stage over time?

Would this in some way affect the durability of the BC/Second stage over time?

No idea, am only on my third BC. First BC, a Tusa Expert lasted more than 500 dives. The second one, also a Tusa Expert also lasted around 500. My current Mares BC has only a few hundred dives and is still in good condition externally at any rate. A good thorough wash in fresh water helps and try not to dry in direct sunlight.

Weakness with the Tusa's was the inflator mechanism, I became quite an expert at stripping them down and cleaning them as they crude'd up very easily.

Back
Top Bottom