Water in BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here I have a problem with my BC just noted yesterday.

I am using oxycheq 30lb wing with the default inflator, used it for about 20 dives

I know it is normal that some water getting into the air cell during diving.

But yesterday, the bladder was flooded to about 1/3 full after a dive (about 1hr, <10m) and I think it is not normal.

I did not use the inflator and dump valve during the whole dive except the initial descend.

What concerns me is that will the accumulation of water in air cell affect it from inflating?
Or if too many water in the air cell, water will just flush out from dump valve if I pump air in?

And, is there any way to avoid it?

If you truly did not use the inflator, then you have a serious leak somewhere.

The most likely is the inflator itself. As if the release button is just stuck open.

If not that, then it would have to be the dump valve or the inflation elbow (or inflator hose)

What happens when you dump out the wing, not hooked to anything and then manually inflate it. Can it hold that overnight?

If you truly did not use the inflator, then you have a serious leak somewhere.

The most likely is the inflator itself. As if the release button is just stuck open.

If not that, then it would have to be the dump valve or the inflation elbow (or inflator hose)

What happens when you dump out the wing, not hooked to anything and then manually inflate it. Can it hold that overnight?

I manually inflated the wing when I first bought it, I found it loses 1/5 to 1/4 of the air after sit overnight.
Took it to a LDS for checking and they said it was fine though maybe minor leak

I used it ~20 dives before and no such problem, so possibly the release button stuck as the water was quite sandy

Will flush it through then inflate it and let it sit for a night to see if it leaks more seriously.

Thanks Keith!

I manually inflated the wing when I first bought it, I found it loses 1/5 to 1/4 of the air after sit overnight.
Took it to a LDS for checking and they said it was fine though maybe minor leak

I used it ~20 dives before and no such problem, so possibly the release button stuck as the water was quite sandy

Will flush it through then inflate it and let it sit for a night to see if it leaks more seriously.

Thanks Keith!
1. BC should never lose that much air overnight. Minor leak can deteriorate into major leak if not being fixed properly.
2. Fully inflate the bc. Fill your bath tub with warm/cold water and dip your bc in it. Any leak should be noticed. Use the same water to wash away your sweat afterwards.
3. Where did you buy the unit?

1. BC should never lose that much air overnight. Minor leak can deteriorate into major leak if not being fixed properly.
2. Fully inflate the bc. Fill your bath tub with warm/cold water and dip your bc in it. Any leak should be noticed. Use the same water to wash away your sweat afterwards.
3. Where did you buy the unit?

I did that and noted minor leaking from the dump valve, not much, but about 1 little bubble/ second.
The dump valve's spring and rubber disc are good, I tried replacing it with another one, still leaks, probably some problem with the screw seat? but the seat is smooth too and I didn't see any cracks on it. My LDS said if no vigorous leak when fully inflated, then it is fine and therefore I just go with it until yesterday.

It was probably benign neglect that allowed so much water to accumulate in your BC. It happens to all of us and it's no biggie. Just be sure to empty the BC after you dive. If you're really concerned, repeat the dive, making sure you have really emptied the bladder before hand before you splash. Then check afterwards. A cup or more means you either have a leak or you're playing more with your BC than you think.

And to answer your other question, water in your wing will not prevent it from inflating fully. The water will be flushed out the OPV.

I did that and noted minor leaking from the dump valve, not much, but about 1 little bubble/ second.
The dump valve's spring and rubber disc are good, I tried replacing it with another one, still leaks, probably some problem with the screw seat? but the seat is smooth too and I didn't see any cracks on it. My LDS said if no vigorous leak when fully inflated, then it is fine and therefore I just go with it until yesterday.

Your LDS is wrong. Sure, you can get away with diving a BC with a slow leak, but it will make you work harder at maintaining neutral buoyancy. You can also get away with driving your car with a tire that has a slow leak. But it, too, is not right.

And to answer your other question, water in your wing [-]will[/-] MAY not prevent it from inflating fully. The water [-]will[/-] MAY be flushed out the OPV.

Fixed it for you.

Depends on the orientation of the wing, location of dump valve, and how much water we're talking about.

Fixed it for you.

Depends on the orientation of the wing, location of dump valve, and how much water we're talking about.
I would completely disagree with the premise. Water, being far denser than air, would be pushed out far more slowly than air. Moreover, since a small crack in a dump valve will introduce even more water, the water volume will almost certainly continue to increase. Remember, most BCs have dumps all over the place and Murphy's law will ensure the rest. :D

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom