water getting into the oil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bartman27

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - i have a older military surplus mako 3 stage compressor - had it rebuilt several years ago and usually only log about 600 hours a year on it - the unit runs great - i change out my filter (x65248) and my 36 inch drying stack at the beginning of the year and never have an issue with anything - the two stage condensate collectors are drained often during and right after pumping air - the units oil is checked prior to starting the electric motor and is usually very clear - recently i noticed the oil becoming hazy - so i drained it and was upset to find there seemed to be some water (not alot mixed in the oil) - i then changed the oil and again after only a about 10 hours the oil became hazy again - i again changed it, and pulled the filter (x65248), and realized it was wet, not dripping, but wet - I then pulled my drying stack and it was fine - i changed out the filter, bled down the supply line to the filter and had some oily water come out and changed the oil once again - the unit is running now and seems fine - what am i doing incorrectly - am i not draining the condensate collectors often enough - they r never full and i drain them often without being lazy - i have been pumping air during very humid weather,does this have a big effect? - please any input would be great

thanks in advance

bm

One of your interstage condensate drains isn't effective. There really isn't any other way to get water in the oil, unless you're backing up the final water separator all the way through the final cooling coil. You implied manual drains. Can you see the water coming out when you drain it? Have you taken them apart to ensure that the sintered filters aren't clogged? Do you know 100 percent that they are draining fully? I'd be tearing into the interstage drains.

One of your interstage condensate drains isn't effective. There really isn't any other way to get water in the oil, unless you're backing up the final water separator all the way through the final cooling coil. You implied manual drains. Can you see the water coming out when you drain it? Have you taken them apart to ensure that the sintered filters aren't clogged? Do you know 100 percent that they are draining fully? I'd be tearing into the interstage drains.

the main drain puts out a about 50 ml of under considerable pressure into a collection tank - it is almost all water - the second smaller one puts out a mix of emulsified oily white almost soapy looking mix - like 20 ml at the most - i took the bottoms off both collectors - there was a tiny bit grit - but nothing odd - both my drain pep cocks are manual - where are the sintered filters? inside the collectors? - i can easily take them apart - thanxs again for the info and the quick turn around - i have a 12 bottle cascade storage bottle system set up and the unit did not have any issues topping it off today, but i dont want any issues in the future

bm

Wookie is dead on about your moisture separators not being effective. Since yours are manual, you need to drain a lot more often. And, yes ... more humidity means more water going into your compressor inlet and that translates to more water in the separators. I am a big fan of draining more often for less time.

I am more concerned with the oil in the sump, though. There really isn't any way for water to get from the air circuit to the sump other than the rings. And, if that was happening, you would have "huffing" out of the dip stick or vent.

It might be a simple as condensation, though. You said that the humidity was up. After running, the air in the sump will cool and that humidity can turn into a little rain in there. Running until it is fully warmed up will drive that moisture off ... kind of like your car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom