Water getting into the nose section of my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the smiling comment. Every time I smile or laugh I have to clear my mask. Also second the strap too low. I was one of the girls who tried to put the strap under my pony tail and I about drowned myself when water went straight in at my nose and then up my nose.

If you have a purge valve, take a close look at the seal to ensure it's laying down all round and there is no
debris around the edges .

My mask developed a leak around the rim of the left lens after several years. I have optical lenses, which may be part of the problem, and apparently the type of mask (Mares X-vision) is prone to leaks anyway. I posted a video of the leak and how I tested it here: Mares X-vision mask leaks - YouTube

So maybe it's just that. First verify if it's not the mask itself that's leaking, then you can try to figure out where the seal to your face doesn't work right. I've noticed that doing things with my mouth (taking out the reg, replacing it etc) tends to break the seal, allowing a bit of water in. But that's a temporary thing.

You can also try putting a small amount of vaseline under your nose where the mask rests. Might help form a better seal.

As a first I'd try the mask strap a little higher up your head, my girlfriend had this problem with a mask that had previously been fine, a friend simply told her to try keeping the strap a little higher and bingo

I had an issue once where it was just stubble from not shaving that cause an aggravating slow leak from under the nose. Now I keep a razor in the dive bag and use it as part of me suit up procedure.

Are you wearing a hood? If yes, then make sure to double check that the mask is under the hood while you are still on the surface. I used to forget to double check that, and sometimes i would have water leaking into my mask because a portion of the mask seal slightly overlapped the hood

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think part of it may have been from having the strap too low. Is there an ideal location for putting the strap? Should it be above the ears, etc?

I have this problem too (small amount of water in the nose section) and it is kind of annoying. I will also check whether I have put the strap too low as some suggested here and see if it fixes the problem (Hopefully it can as I just bought this mask, X-Vision, a few weeks ago and used for 2 days diving only so far...with optical lens....):depressed:

Back
Top Bottom