Water as weight rather than lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the question:

can you use water as weight, instead of lead weight?

The problem with doing this lies in the sealing of the water weights. If there were a puncture in the container, the water inside would suddenly be connected to the water outside. Now, instead of having 12 lbs, you have several hundred trillion tons on your weight belt, and are hurtling towards the center of the Earth with enough momentum to easily punch through the thin crust on your way to the core. What's worse is that all of the water that is in and connected to your weight belt is right there with you. This water will flash to steam, and then jet back up and out of the hole you've created, propelling the Earth around space like a balloon that's been let go without tying, inevitably careening into the center of the sun.

Last edited:
...This water will flash to steam, and then jet back up and out of the hole you've created, jetting the Earth around space like a balloon that's been let go without tying, inevitably careening into the center of the sun.

As I understand it, the L1 Lagrange Point makes for an excellent dive. But you're better off with a Jim Suit for that one. :wink:

If there were a puncture in the container, the water inside would suddenly be connected to the water outside. Now, instead of having 12 lbs, you have several hundred trillion tons on your weight belt, and are hurtling towards the center of the Earth with enough momentum to easily punch through the thin crust on your way to the core.

holy crap why didn't they teach me this in my Discover Scuba class?????

You would never have signed up for an OW class and woudlnt have bought your gear. It is a grand conspiracy...

Because there's always some clown who will send the Earth careening into the center of the sun if you tell them how to do it. We have enough trouble with global warming as it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom