Water as weight rather than lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't tell you how happy I am that this thread was resurrected! If it hadn't been I never would have seen the following, which is possibly the greatest quote ever seen on ScubaBoard...

Additionally, we now will never have to see the old "There's no such thing as a dumb question" quote ever again.

:D
Nope...got an actual (and dumber one).

Had this very discussion on a beach last year...

Question was: "...but how does the water know there's water inside the jug, instead of sand...?"

haven't read all of the responses, so not sure what you got but... 1 gallon of water weighs roughly 8.5 pounds on the surface, and so long as you're using fresh it should sink in the ocean. but it still won't give you 8.5# of weight as that weight is going to be counteracted by the salt water by a factor that i have no idea of. either way, that's a lot of milk jugs on your rig, bro!

disclaimer: i suck at physics and am here to certify that this is NOT an area of expertise for me! so feel free to correct me but let's not flame!

erik

Take a physics class in the evenings or when ever, and it''ll all be clear.. it's one of the best learning experiences you can give yourself, except for Anatomy, which ROCKS. Man I grew so much on those classes. It really blows your mind, when you start UNDERSTANDING how it all works, and not just listening. When the light goes on.. WOW Like I said.. It'll change your life.

Nope...got an actual (and dumber one).

Had this very discussion on a beach last year...

Question was: "...but how does the water know there's water inside the jug, instead of sand...?"

BKP, too funny. On a serious note, I never could understand how a liquid is uncompressable. Perhaps someone could explain that one.

You'd be the second such victim of this thread.

Did they ban a troll?

Mercury would be more comfortable. Depleted Urananium would be better for density and as an added bonus you won't need a flashlight anymore after you've used it for a while. Overall though, the head of an old politician might work best. Most dense thing I can think of.

LOL love this thread. One thing you didn't think of with the head of the politician is that the benefit of the density is offset by the turbulence of the flapping of the mouth. Everyone knows a politician's mouth never stops!

I'd be happy to take the gold weight that is dropped when you replace 10lb of lead.

haven't read all of the responses, so not sure what you got but... 1 gallon of water weighs roughly 8.5 pounds on the surface, and so long as you're using fresh it should sink in the ocean. but it still won't give you 8.5# of weight as that weight is going to be counteracted by the salt water by a factor that i have no idea of. either way, that's a lot of milk jugs on your rig, bro!

disclaimer: i suck at physics and am here to certify that this is NOT an area of expertise for me! so feel free to correct me but let's not flame!

erik

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but salt water is more dense than fresh water, therefore, a jug of fresh water will float in salt water....assuming the jug is not neg.

BTW, I think Andy should petition board management to remove this thread as it severely handicaps his position in any discussion/debate.

no completely the opposite assuming all other things being equal. fresh water will sink below the level of salter water; a good example is the cenotes in mexico. salt water has a higher density due to the salinity level thus the propensity to make people buoyant (so if you normally dive in the ocean, you might want to consider adding some weight if you're diving fresh). but i'm out of this discussion; i originally posted mostly as a joke! (bottom line, if you're seriously looking into using water as a weight you're tool material and should revisit physics 101!)

erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom