Watching movies underwater on your phone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,

Thanks for the input and devise suggestions, I had a look at them and none seem to support audio. I think someone mentioned Bluetooth, I would love this but I have yet to find bluetooth ear bud that have a 6m depth rating. Like is said earlier the only thing I have found and that I have seen work is the Dri-Dock system but maybe this is the closest thing to what im looking for...

Sorry to the others that think its not very practical to play on a phone while on deco. I do love the diving and have a passion for it but sometimes sitting at 6 meters for 3+ hours just gets boring and honestly sometimes its nice to have that mental distraction from knowing that you physically can not surface for such a long period of time it can be a little overwhelming when you look at your computer and the TTS is 200 minutes. For those of you that are doing really long or really deep deco dives I'm sure you can relate.

Look at the Craig Howell and Richard Harris when they were doing all the Pearse Resurgence exploration (yes they are doing crazy insane long deco dives) they went so far to build habitats for there last deco stops.

Hi All,

Thanks for the input and devise suggestions, I had a look at them and none seem to support audio. I think someone mentioned Bluetooth, I would love this but I have yet to find bluetooth ear bud that have a 6m depth rating. Like is said earlier the only thing I have found and that I have seen work is the Dri-Dock system but maybe this is the closest thing to what im looking for...

Sorry to the others that think its not very practical to play on a phone while on deco. I do love the diving and have a passion for it but sometimes sitting at 6 meters for 3+ hours just gets boring and honestly sometimes its nice to have that mental distraction from knowing that you physically can not surface for such a long period of time it can be a little overwhelming when you look at your computer and the TTS is 200 minutes. For those of you that are doing really long or really deep deco dives I'm sure you can relate.

Look at the Craig Howell and Richard Harris when they were doing all the Pearse Resurgence exploration (yes they are doing crazy insane long deco dives) they went so far to build habitats for there last deco stops.
A couple of technical physics related questions:
- do any housings support touch screen use?
- how many inches does Bluetooth (or Wifi) work underwater?

These seem to be potential roadblocks to underwater smartphone happiness?

3+ hours? I bet most of us were thinking 20-30 minutes :)

Take a look at Make Time Fly During Decompression . The Alltab waterproof tablet I linked on the first page of the thread is mentioned in this article. You can see it in this photo:

IMAG0500-768x1024.jpg

Kind of makes me wish I had old phones laying around. I do have a couple old note9's but housings tend not to fit that phone. All my others I trade in when there's a new phone.
I have a couple of dial phones, including one with a hook and separate speaker section.

You do mean an 'old phone', don't you? How about a sleek Princess Phone? Anything that can legitimately be called an old phone must connect to the wall with a wire.

I had a conversation with one of the guys doing the weeki wachee exploration. What i gathered was they used kindal fires in basic waterproof protectors/bags filled with mineral oil. He said it worked well but needed to be a dedicated device because it got full of mineral oil and the screen would get slightly brownish over time.

I don't like wasting time so I download audio books and listen to them while I'm driving my car. I also access ebooks on my phone or tablet to read when I am in waiting rooms, on airplanes, etc., so I can understand why the OP wants to keep busy during a long deco.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why any diver would want to watch a movie while underwater unless it was about identifying marine life, or perhaps navigating the interior of a wreck or cave.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why any diver would want to watch a movie while underwater unless it was about identifying marine life, or perhaps navigating the interior or a wreck.

I can only count so many rocks. And rock stacking competitions get old after about 10 minutes.

3+ hours? I bet most of us were thinking 20-30 minutes :)

Take a look at Make Time Fly During Decompression . The Alltab waterproof tablet I linked on the first page of the thread is mentioned in this article. You can see it in this photo:

View attachment 623317

Haha yeah I'm not talking about little 50 meter dives with half an hour of deco, hence why I was looking for some form of entertainment. Thanks for the article yes I have seen this article that's where I got the idea for bring my smart phone down but I am still trying to figure out the audio part. The Alltab is great but it does not have an external headphone port. And yes Bluetooth works underwater but I have yet to see any ear buds that are rated to 6 meters all the ones I have seen are for pool swimming only. Dri-Dock and H2o audio make water earphones but they are plug in ones.

Here is what my good friend is using for listing to music. This is the Dry-dock bag with water earphone. This is after 160 meter dive with 3+ hr TTS

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom