watches - digital or analog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
ok, really stupid question here - for the back up timing device, aka a simple watch that you would put on your left arm (usually next to compass, not BT) - is it better to have analog watch or digital? Does anyone uses the rotating bezel on the analog watch? If it's digital, do you actually use the stop timer function, or you just memorize the current time?

I have an old analog bottom timer with a secound hand that I use. I wouldent trust a rotating benzell because it could get knocked around and would be hard to turn with gloves. My buddy has a digital watch and on longer stops will use the stop watch function.

I use digital, but can't see any real, appreciable difference between the two. I also wouldn't trust or bother with using the bezel. Between the watch, and my computer/bottom timer I've got redundant info on my bottom time.

I just bought a new one on sale, but still have my trusty Casio digital. You can have it for free if you want. It already has a deluxe velcro divers band, and I can bring it to the DIR presentation or BTS for you. Let me know.....

Scott

PS- To finish answering your question, I look at the time on my watch when I hit bottom, and keep track of BT throughout the dive. This way if either device fails, I have a pretty accurate idea of how long I've been down.

If you don't like the idea of memorizing, you could use the stopwatch or write the time down in your wet notes.

What DIR presentation????

Go look in the Wreck Valley section....

We might have a Long Island carpool going if you're interested...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom