Washington State Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPaladin

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning on going to the state of Washington, and I am looking for some interesting areas to dive. I prefer Cave Diving, Wreck Diving, and doing a lot of Underwater Photography and Videography.

I have been looking online for various areas to go, and have had limited success. I have to believe there are some interesting places to go diving in the state of Washington. My interests lean to the previously mentioned, and also to exploring and underwater marine life and archaeology.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Look at Northwest Diver for some details on specific dive sites. There's tons of good diving in The Puget Sound and the Straits of Juan De Fuca. If you're set on wreck diving I would suggest BC for the next few years, until Underwater Viewing becomes a state subsidized form of tourism the BC artificial reefs are probably the best wrecks around.

If you can get out to the Diamond Knot in the Straits its supposed to be a great dive. But weather and distance make it tough to get out on from what I hear.

As for photography there are plenty of opportunities to capture the sea-life at most any of the dive sites. Look into Bandito Charters and see all the great Shore Diving out there as well.

Where in Wa. are you planning to be/go?

I am not exactly sure yet. Right now, I am just trying to get an overview of what is out there. I have a friend in Whidbey and also a family friend in Bremerton.

There are many places to go. They're most all very interesting. "CD in Chitown's" recomendation to NW Diver is a great resource.

Edmonds Underwater Park is a great orientation dive, Cove 2 in Seattle, Octopus Hole and many more. Just wander around here in Orca Bait and check back to this thread. You'll get more suggestions soon.

When are you planning your visit?

Sea ya!

Sasquatch:
Edmonds Underwater Park is a great orientation dive,

If you're going to dive EUP please learn about the currents and this site's sensitivity to the changing tides, or better yet hook up with someone experienced with the currents at this site to get a guided tour. (I got my first tour of EUP from NWGrateful Diver and have to say he knows his way around that grid) Having a ferry dock just south of the park makes for some harrowing tales. I have heard more than one where divers caused the abort of a ferry approach and EMT response, items that I imagine carry a hefty price tag considering you'd be outside of the park and subject to fines for interferring with the operation of a ferry.

Cove 2 in Seattle, Octopus Hole and many more. Just wander around here in Orca Bait and check back to this thread. You'll get more suggestions soon.

Cove 2, also known as Alki or Seacrest. See Uncle Pug's post on this site for some ideas on the sealife and photography potentials. 5 minutes from downtown Seattle and a world away from civilization.

There are very few caves. There are wrecks in BC, as noted, but large wrecks within recreational dive limits in Puget Sound are extremely limited. Most of your diving will likely be in Puget Sound, because (a) getting to the actual coast of WA can be challenging (e.g. requires a bit of time from most locations), and (b) diving the actual coast of WA is said to be rather adventurous.

On the other hand, within Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and the San Juans the opportunities for exploration, underwater photography, marine life encounters, and videography are virtually limitless.

Good luck to you on your relocation.

Doc

ScubaPaladin:
I am not exactly sure yet. Right now, I am just trying to get an overview of what is out there. I have a friend in Whidbey and also a family friend in Bremerton.
Those are both good locations to live if you're interested in diving. Just make sure you're west of the Cascades ... most people don't realize that more than half of the state is hot, dry, and dusty for most of the year ... and far away from places to scuba dive. It's 300 miles from Spokane to Seattle ... and another 100+ miles to the coast from there. Fortunately, some of the best diving is in Puget Sound ... Seattle's "back door" ... :D

CD_in-Chitown:
If you're going to dive EUP please learn about the currents and this site's sensitivity to the changing tides, or better yet hook up with someone experienced with the currents at this site to get a guided tour. (I got my first tour of EUP from NWGrateful Diver and have to say he knows his way around that grid) Having a ferry dock just south of the park makes for some harrowing tales. I have heard more than one where divers caused the abort of a ferry approach and EMT response, items that I imagine carry a hefty price tag considering you'd be outside of the park and subject to fines for interferring with the operation of a ferry.
Excellent advice ... they are enforcing the laws now, which means very large fines if you come too close to, or interfere with the operation of, the ferry. Sadly, that's due to the increasing number of diver/ferry incidents over the past year or so. They are also enforcing the "no scooter" rules of the park for the same reason. That said, this is an excellent place to start learning about local marine life ... and people like Bruce Higgins and JD Rowe have been building up the north side of the park (away from the ferry) to attract divers to head off in that direction. When WADiverBob and I decided a couple of years back to "dive the grid", it took us over a dozen dives to cover the entire park ... and some of those dives were in excess of 70 minutes. So there's a lot there to see.

Doc Intrepid:
There are very few caves. There are wrecks in BC, as noted, but large wrecks within recreational dive limits in Puget Sound are extremely limited. Most of your diving will likely be in Puget Sound, because (a) getting to the actual coast of WA can be challenging (e.g. requires a bit of time from most locations), and (b) diving the actual coast of WA is said to be rather adventurous.

On the other hand, within Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and the San Juans the opportunities for exploration, underwater photography, marine life encounters, and videography are virtually limitless.

Good luck to you on your relocation.

Doc
Agreed ... and the further north you go, the better it gets. Puget Sound has some very good diving ... IMO, the San Juans are better. South Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast of BC are better still. And northern Van Isle offers some of the best cold water diving on the planet.

papps953:
I don't know if this is sound-wide, but at night your bubbles can cause a phosphorus glow.

Bill B.
Only in the summer, when the plankton is blooming ... and then it can be spectacular. One of my most memorable diving moments occurred at Three Tree North on a night dive in July when we settled down in the eel grass at safety-stop depth, turned off our lights, and watched the phosphorescent trails of dogfish as they were hunting ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom