Washington Slagbaai National Park Versus one more day of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am in Bonaire until Monday and am trying to decide whether to go to WSNP on Sunday. Our flight on Monday departs late in the day, so if we skip the park, we could get in some diving on Sunday. My husband has a bad knee, so diving within the park where current is reportedly strong is not an option. Trying to decide whether it’s worth sacrificing a day of diving for a day in the WSNP. We have seen some incredibly beautiful coast on the east side, and so am unsure if there could be anything in the WSNP that would be all that different from what we’ve already seen. Another concern is that our rental truck doesn’t have 4 wheeled drive. Don’t know if that’s a problem. What are your thoughts?

It's worth a visit, but I would not do it alone. Two vehicles gives you a way to get home if one breaks down/has a flat, etc. It is desert, so is interesting from that respect. If you are a birder, they are interesting.

There are two routes, a short one and a long one. The long one is better but is, well, longer.
Take some lunch, and don't let the bird steal it. Take water.

I enjoyed the park but I would do it on a day that I didn't really feel like diving anyway.

Have you dove up at Nukove yet? If not, I would suggest that before the park trip.

Either way, at least take a tire inflater with you.

I may be in the distinct minority, but, if you're not going there specifically to dive a particular site...

Go to the national park only if you've counted your socks and sorted by color; and ironed your underwear.

My daughter told me, after the short trip "Dad, if I'd wanted to ride 3 hrs on bad road I could have stayed home."

Save the receipt from your marine park pass to take and show, so you don't have to pay the entrance fee (if that's unchanged vs. years ago). I liked it. The tire inflator someone mentioned is probably the one you can buy to attach to the LP hose off your regulator, so a tank can be used to fill a flat tire.

Big waves pounding the rocky little 'cliff' face at Playa Chikitu, hills, a bit mountainous, scenic rock formations, lots of cacti, more thorns than you knew there were in the word, some old building ruins, yeah, it's scenic and I'm glad I've visited.

Whether it's worth it to you depends on what you value. See how your week goes, how many dives you got in, and whether you're happy with that or missed any sites. Decide the day before.

If you haven’t been to WSNP before, definitely take the time to explore the park. It truly is a unique place. Rugged beaches, rugged coast, calm beaches and tidal pools, a lighthouse, plantation ruins, blowholes, hiking, birding, desert landscape that bleeds into lunar surface type landscape; Washington Park has it all! you could easily spend several days experiencing all the park has to offer. It won’t be on your “to do” list every trip, but definitely needs to be on your list at least once. Make sure you pack a lunch (or snacks) and take plenty of water. The road can be rough, but there’s no need for 4WD. Also, plenty of people visit the park, so if you break down you’ll most likely have help pass by in short order. Even if you're not diving that day, do take a tank, regulator and a tire inflator adapter just in case you get a flat. Here’s a time lapse video of my recent drive through the park (minus stops/turn offs for the various sites). Enjoy!

I may be in the distinct minority, but, if you're not going there specifically to dive a particular site...

Go to the national park only if you've counted your socks and sorted by color; and ironed your underwear.

My daughter told me, after the short trip "Dad, if I'd wanted to ride 3 hrs on bad road I could have stayed home."
I wouldn't be so sure we're in the minority. A number of trips ago we dedicated a day to diving up there, and while the diving indeed provided a change of scenery, in the end I didn't feel it was worth the long drive there and back. Apart from the diving, I found the topside scenery of the park interesting but hardly breathtaking. If one has done or plans to do many Bonaire trips it's worth checking off the list.

Reactions: gbf
Watching the video reminded me of something. You can download a google map of Bonaire onto your phone and use the gps without having cell service. Might be helpful up in the park, etc.

If you haven’t been to WSNP before, definitely take the time to explore the park. It truly is a unique place. Rugged beaches, rugged coast, calm beaches and tidal pools, a lighthouse, plantation ruins, blowholes, hiking, birding, desert landscape that bleeds into lunar surface type landscape; Washington Park has it all! you could easily spend several days experiencing all the park has to offer. It won’t be on your “to do” list every trip, but definitely needs to be on your list at least once. Make sure you pack a lunch (or snacks) and take plenty of water. The road can be rough, but there’s no need for 4WD. Also, plenty of people visit the park, so if you break down you’ll most likely have help pass by in short order. Do take a spare tank with your reg and a tire inflator adapter (just in case). Here’s a time lapse video of my recent drive through the park (minus stops/turn offs for the various sites). Enjoy!
I have to solidly concur with USC8791 on this. Of course, everyone has their own interests, but for historical, cultural, geological and natural features this experience makes a great day out.

For me, none of the diving is at the top of my Bonaire list, but is a fun part of the excursion. Some sites are not any more challenging than other sites elsewhere. Wayaka is good but going up the steps with waterlogged gear could be tough on your husband's knee. Assess it when you get there. If you blow that off, Boca Slaagbai is as easy as anywhere on the island, not spectacular, but worth the experience.

The small museum and outdoor exhibits near the entry are very engaging and worthwhile. If the tide and swells permit, a refreshing dip at Kokolishi is fun. Take a walk to the light houses and the water holes, with their birds, lizards and plants. Enjoy the picnic you packed at a scenic locale. Do a dive if you are up to it, or just snorkel somewhere. If the stairs at Wayaka are tough with full gear, snorkling there is a fine option.

Your Stinapa dive pass gets you in without any additional fees but bring it and your passport. Unless it has been particularly rainy, you do not need 4 wheel drive and the weekend forecast looks good in that regard. the egress from Slaagbai to the exit point is usually the roughest and sometimes slow going, but works in a normal pickup or small utility. So it can be an enjoyable and different experience and a nice change of pace from the daily dive routine. We have done it many times, but continue to enjoy it as part of our Bonaire experience.

But, as always, a chacun son gout!

Do both. Do an early morning dive. Clean and hung up your gear and go to the park. Take the short route (still 3 hrs). The long route is too much for us. Have stuff ready the night before (sandwiches, snacks....frozen water bottles).

Back
Top Bottom