Washing the undersuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
So, the time has come. Wife objects to the... odor of my undersuit. After only a couple of years of moderate use (of the undersuit, that is), she's complaining about the smell of the suit as it hangs to dry after a not-perfectly-dry dive last weekend.

Now, having owned a couple of sleeping bags I know that there's a thin line between washing and not washing a garment intended to provide insulation. Too often and you lose insulation properties, too seldom and you also lose. In any case, the garment won't be as good as new, the only thing to hope for is that it doesn't get much worse while losing the stink. So I'm planning a 40C wash and tumble drying with a couple of tennis balls like I do with my sleeping bag and my down jacket when they become too objectionable.

Any tips? Am I on the right track?

Is there some science behind materials losing effectiveness when washed?

Whoa.. you've not washed your undersuit in two years? I would gag if I didn't do that to mine.

I think some manufacturers have specific guidelines for their undergarments. In general I use very little laundry detergent as you normally would or just wash in water only (a little vinegar). No fabric softener. I let me line dry or use dryer on low heat.

DUI has specific instructions for their polartec and thinsulate undergarments which you could use as a guide.
DUI DiveWear Care Instructions - DUI Online - drysuits

EDIT: Beaten to posting DUI care instructions.

Last edited:
Is there some science behind the loss of effectiveness of these materials? I wash in cold water with a mild soap when it gets dat funk.

Is there some science behind the loss of effectiveness of these materials? I wash in cold water with a mild soap when it gets dat funk.

I dont know science behind it but soap residue causes fabrics like thinsulate to lose it's wicking properties

From here: INSULATION STRATEGIES FOR DRYSUIT DIVERS
If you use soap on Thinsulate™ Insulation you must run it through three complete wash cycles to get the soap out of the Thinsulate™ Insulation. Soap inside the material can effect its ability to repel water. Therefore it is recommended you avoid that if you can.

you've not washed your undersuit in two years? I would gag if I didn't do that to mine.
I never use it next to the skin; I always wear a wicking layer (which is washed quite regularly) or two - or three - underneath. And I hang it up to dry and air properly after each outing. That's worked fine until now.

It's like my hunting/hiking outerwear: I wash them every second year, whether or not it's necessary :cool:

There are cleaners designed expressly for cleaning these sorts of clothing. Tech wash or revivex pro cleaner are commonly used ones.

I was mine in a normal wash cycle around every ten dives unless it gets wet or I sweat a lot. It then gets washed after each dive day. I've never had a problem with it losing wicking or warming properties.

Back
Top Bottom