Washing BCD's bladder from the inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wont the alcohol in mouthwash hurt the urethane in the bladder?

I picked up this interesting trick from a friend. Since almost all diving here in the Philippines is in (clean) salt water what you can do is taste your rinse water. If you can still taste salt - give it another rinse:D!

Wont the alcohol in mouthwash hurt the urethane in the bladder?

I picked up this interesting trick from a friend. Since almost all diving here in the Philippines is in (clean) salt water what you can do is taste your rinse water. If you can still taste salt - give it another rinse:D!

That makes a big assumption that your BC bladder is maintained such that it's suitable for potable water. One miss and you can be in a world of hurt.

Just fill, shake and rinse through the inflater 3 times after each dive day. Exercise all valves to clear any salt sand and debris and call it a day. Taking things apart and running chemical in there is just inviting problems. It's a lift bag, not a counter lung. In fresh water I'll do less for lack of salt.

I am one for the fill with fresh water and rinse thru all dump valves. I do like the idea of generic listerine inside the bladder though. I know the water I dive in is not so clean...Oh and I also inflate to store. I did not think about inflating to help blow out the remaining water after rinsing. I am diving again on Sunday and I will have to remember that trick as I may still have my tanks with left over air.

I did not think about inflating to help blow out the remaining water after rinsing. I am diving again on Sunday and I will have to remember that trick as I may still have my tanks with left over air.

I don't use the air from a tank. Simply inflate the BC orally once you have drained the rinse water by gravity. Much easier than hooking the reg back up.

I don't use the air from a tank. Simply inflate the BC orally once you have drained the rinse water by gravity. Much easier than hooking the reg back up.

I also rinse the inflator afterwards in case I introduced bacteria through contact with saliva in my mouth.

Just don't do this if you have an Air 2 or similar alternate inflator/regulator. Works fine on a standard inflator, but will wreck havoc on the regulator side of the Air 2.

That suck's...I have an Air2. Just for informational purposes can you pass on some info as the what's and why's of not using one with an Air2? Thanks.

+1 on Listerine, I also pour some into my second stages after rinsing and leave for 30 mins, makes for a nice taste when I take my first breath next time around.

I also rinse the inflator afterwards in case I introduced bacteria through contact with saliva in my mouth.

Well, OK, but the amount of bacteria in your saliva is monumentally dwarfed by the amount of bacteria in seawater. In other words, if bacteria is your worry you need to stay out of the ocean.

'yes' to the occasional shot of walmart brand listerine. minty fresh!

What problem are you solving with the listerine? I cannot understand why it's at all important for the inside of a BC to be "minty fresh." It's an enclosed space after all.

-Charles

Back
Top Bottom