Was I too critical in my response to the following post?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, you and the many others who properly pointed out the numerous flaws and multiple ways this “dive” could easily have gone terribly wrong were all spot on. I consider myself a very adventurous Master diver with well over 100 dives since getting certified 2.5 years ago and if a DM had said to me “hey, how about a little deco dive.” I would said, “you’re out of your mind!!!”

The other stuff is equally ludicrous.

And I wholeheartedly agree that this forum needs to self-police and avoid in any way sanctioning or otherwise approving dive conduct that is just plain freaking stupid.

I mean really, how about deco on a Discover SCUBA dive!! Why not??

Peace out.

Not too critical, but we all should keep trying to steer our comments to helping folks not make the same mistake twice. The original OP made us all nervous by glossing over the danger and not stating strongly enough, "never again". Single tank deco-dives just make no sense in the recreational world. The DM's actions are a whole different story. Seems all posters find that behavior totally irresponsible from a DM. When I comment, rarely, I try to stay away from scaring folks or lecturing. Your comments walked that line pretty well. With my students, same theory. The more I scare or lecture, the less they take it in. All in all, if the recounting of the air pressures were correct, I don't think they would be around or out of the chamber yet. Even if more air was available, way too risky and not realizing the issues and heading up earlier was just wrong. Helping the OP lean more from the experience is the best we can do. Her description of what a thrill it was just plain gives me the creeps.

Rob

Not too critical, but we all should keep trying to steer our comments to helping folks not make the same mistake twice. The original OP made us all nervous by glossing over the danger and not stating strongly enough, "never again". Single tank deco-dives just make no sense in the recreational world. The DM's actions are a whole different story. Seems all posters find that behavior totally irresponsible from a DM. When I comment, rarely, I try to stay away from scaring folks or lecturing. Your comments walked that line pretty well. With my students, same theory. The more I scare or lecture, the less they take it in. All in all, if the recounting of the air pressures were correct, I don't think they would be around or out of the chamber yet. Even if more air was available, way too risky and not realizing the issues and heading up earlier was just wrong. Helping the OP lean more from the experience is the best we can do. Her description of what a thrill it was just plain gives me the creeps.

Rob

Looks like OP has been diving for quite some time and this is a pattern of irresponsible behaviour. I read some of her earlier posts and this has happened before.

Mina's Dive Blog, Life Blog and Travel Blog: Cozumel Dive Trip, July 2007

See: Epilogue

Last edited:
They are a walking dive accident waiting to happen. I would hate to be tangled up in that mess with them.
Agreed. After reading some of her blogs, it sounds like adrenaline junkies that are surprised when their adrenaline rises. And then acts offended when more rational divers call them out for their risk taking behavior.

I sincerely hope we don't read about them in the Accidents and Incidents section some day that is written by a 3rd party.

Meany! You have just crushed some snowflake's sense of reality. Well not really. They appear to be able to ignore critical feedback.

Ok, you folks have made your point.

In closing, I noted these aspirations which promise future trips on the razors edge: "My dream trip would be to dive the Calvin Coolidge. I would also like to trek to Mount Everest." I seem to recall the Calvin Coolidge having its own issues, to say the least, with people doing depths beyond their abilities. "Have you ever done a penetration dive?" Everest needs no explanation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom