Was a lurker, now a poster, question about Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey y'all greetings from Texas!
I have been lurking for a while and now I have a question.
I am going to Cancun in April, and want to Snorkel in Isla Mujeres.
My travel agency has plenty of Excursion Packages available, but I don't really want to do that because that is pretty much point-A to Point-B, and I may want to mess around in the city a little bit after.
What do you recomend?
I have my own equipment, and I don't really want to just explore right off the beach.
Do you know of anywhere in Isla Mujeres to get a guide and a boat to got out for a couple of hours or so, or maybe a shop or something over there that may be able to help me out.

Cheers,
P.S. links and numbers would be cool.

Thanks ya'll BTW, is there a spell check function on these posts?:dork2:

Take the ferry over to I.M. rent a scooter or take a taxi down to El Garrafon National Park and snorkel there on your own. It's been a while since I was there, but it was pretty nice. I here there's good snorkeling at the north end of the island, were the hotels are. The stuff mentioned in the post above are all diving sites.

I'm going this summer...staying at Isla Mujeres Palace. Anybody knows if snorkeling is good in front of the hotel? If not where should I go?

Oh, which dive shops works well with someone with limited experience?

Thanks!

I'm going this summer...staying at Isla Mujeres Palace. Anybody knows if snorkeling is good in front of the hotel? If not where should I go?

Oh, which dive shops works well with someone with limited experience?

Thanks!

There's a fabulous reef in front of Hotel Garaffon. Fabulous view as well, if it's still there.

OK, I just looked it up and it sounds like there's a horrible theme park next door now.

I'm not sure if Hotel Garaffon is the same as Garrafon de Castilla, but here's the link Tours - Garrafon de Castilla Beach Club: Isla Mujeres .info

This hotel is right next to the National Marine Park and had excellent snorkeling back in 1999 & 2002 (sanddollars, octopus trying to eat a helmet shell, usual tropical fish). The Marine Park has the best snorkeling, but they used to require life vests making it tough to free dive. The coral reefs in the Cancun / Cozumel region suffered damage from hurricanes in 2005, but they're recovering.

Here's info on the ferry from Cancun to I.M.
Isla Mujeres Ferry Services : TravelYucatan.com
Ferries arriving on Isla Mujeres: IslaMujeres.info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom