Warning to Teric owners, check the tightness of the lug screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine got he blue camo watch band at DEMA, it isn't bad looking, but like all NATO bands it just doesn't adjust as you go deeper.
I have a silicone (stretchy) Zulu band.

I didn’t read the entire thread but your level of vitriol seems excessive.

I was going to throw mine on an old NATO strap I have lying around just to see if I like it, but it's the wrong width. Anybody have theirs on a NATO strap already that can confirm you can still charge it that way or do you need to remove it from the strap to charge? In general I am not a huge fan of all the rings on both sides of NATO straps so that Shearwater one is appealing because the rings are more subtle than the ones I have. I'm surprised there are not more color options available though. I'm still deciding if protecting against single pin failure is worth the massive rule 6 violation that comes with wearing blue camo topside.

I just bought a pack of 22mm Nato Straps on Amazon. Seems to fit just fine. They are the same length as the standard length strap.

I was going to throw mine on an old NATO strap I have lying around just to see if I like it, but it's the wrong width. Anybody have theirs on a NATO strap already that can confirm you can still charge it that way or do you need to remove it from the strap to charge? In general I am not a huge fan of all the rings on both sides of NATO straps so that Shearwater one is appealing because the rings are more subtle than the ones I have. I'm surprised there are not more color options available though. I'm still deciding if protecting against single pin failure is worth the massive rule 6 violation that comes with wearing blue camo topside.

Strap slides around and snugs up the charger.

Attachments

• 20200309_080742.jpg
    20200309_080742.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 146
Put my Deep Six Excursion strap on my Teric (since it was longer) and put a $7 nato strap from Amazon on the Excursion which my lady wears:

otESiZU.jpg

Point in fact I just purchased a Teric in the US, where one of the bezel screws out of the box was not fully tightened down against the bezel.

While the manual says the warrantee is void if the owner touches these screws I decided to tighten it up. Why? Because the store I purchased it from only had two silver units in stock. The first unit out of the box refused to power up, while the charger claimed the Teric was fully charged. In other words one unit DOA. The second with a screw not fully torqued from the factory.

My assumption is that they are using an electric torque wrench in production, where for whatever reason the screw in question was hard to turn. My guess is that it is a self tapping screw where the torque required was greater than the setting on their tool.

Point in fact I just purchased a Teric in the US, where one of the bezel screws out of the box was not fully tightened down against the bezel.

While the manual says the warrantee is void if the owner touches these screws I decided to tighten it up. Why? Because the store I purchased it from only had two silver units in stock. The first unit out of the box refused to power up, while the charger claimed the Teric was fully charged. In other words one unit DOA. The second with a screw not fully torqued from the factory.

My assumption is that they are using an electric torque wrench in production, where for whatever reason the screw in question was hard to turn. My guess is that it is a self tapping screw where the torque required was greater than the setting on their tool.

A new thread all by itself lest it becomes buried in this thread's positive outcome.

Reactions: Jay

Hi VSC,
I'm sorry you received a Teric like this. Although you've since tightened it we would really like to have a look at this unit. We have another Silver Teric that we've had Quality do an additional inspection on for this issue that is ready to ship out to you as a replacement. Can you contact us at info@shearwater.com so we can arrange to get your unit back and get you a replacement asap?
Thank you!

Bug bounties are commonplace in software dev.

Polo with logo "Teric Public Beta" is sufficient.

I forgot I said I would post pics of the blue camo strap so here they are. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it actually is really easy to charge. The strap doesn't fit tightly between the lugs and the body of the Teric so slip the main strap out of the inner strap, then the main strap out from under the lug and throw it on the charger. Takes 2 seconds.

upload_2020-4-6_11-16-54.png

upload_2020-4-6_11-17-7.png

upload_2020-4-6_11-17-27.png

upload_2020-4-6_11-17-48.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom