Warning to Teric owners, check the tightness of the lug screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand Henry’s concern, it shouldn’t happen so soon if the screws weren’t played with. Instead of blasting Sherewater or praising the rest of us need to go check our lug screws just make sure you don’t torque down to hard because these are tiny threads and they can easily be stripped.

For me I so hate NATO and ZULU straps that I would rather lose the computer that use one, that’s just me but they are very effective at preventing loss in this situation.

Go right now or as soon as possible and get the tools out of the top pouch of the Teric box and check your screws, if you find them loose put some (very tiny amount) blue locktite on the threads and snug them down, don’t wait do it now.

However, to go on slagging Shearwater for a tiny oversight by someone in the back room who perhaps failed to properly torque a little nut, is over the top.

There was another post here the other day from someone that had the DIN connector almost fall out of his Apeks reg. THAT could potentially have had devastating consequences. What we all learned from that is to check our gear before we use it. You would be wise to follow that same advice. My guess is that now that you have snugged up the nut, you'll check it periodically as you should have been doing anyway. In that entire thread, I don't recall the OP even hint that Apeks made lousy regulators.

If you're truly convinced that SW makes crappy products, I suggest you list your almost new Teric in the classifieds here and I can guarantee you you'll get almost what you paid for it by the end of the day.

Dear Stoo

Please reread my posts. There is no slagging, no lousy anything, and no crappy products, in my report.

Quit the ad hominem, it is not about me or you or your Apeks buddy, stay on focus with the issue.

This is a matter we don't yet understand, which I'm sure Shearwater are already aware of. I'm not the first Teric owner. That this issue is still extant in a late model is a problem which requires more attention. There is the neglect.

Yours kindly

Henry J Cat

Update

Shearwater has responded promptly with an apology, a promise of an investigation, a NATO strap, and most importantly replacement lug screws with pre-installed locking compound.

I bought Shearwater because of their reputation.

I worked around this issue by wearing my Teric under my drysuit so if the lugs let go or the band breaks at least the computer won't get lost. Then I realized I couldn't see it so got horribly bent when I omitted a bunch of deco. I fixed the issue by cutting a circle out of the forearm of my drysuit so I can see the Teric's display to avoid the missed deco problem, but then my drysuit flooded for some reason. Once I get that fixed I'll work on a better solution and update the group.

I worked around this issue by wearing my Teric under my drysuit so if the lugs let go or the band breaks at least the computer won't get lost. Then I realized I couldn't see it so got horribly bent when I omitted a bunch of deco. I fixed the issue by cutting a circle out of the forearm of my drysuit so I can see the Teric's display to avoid the missed deco problem, but then my drysuit flooded for some reason. Once I get that fixed I'll work on a better solution and update the group.
Somehow, I think even an ugly-colored NATO strap might have been better.....

Update

Shearwater has responded promptly with an apology, a promise of an investigation, a NATO strap, and most importantly replacement lug screws with pre-installed locking compound.

I bought Shearwater because of their reputation.

And the reputation stays intact and lives on...

Somehow, I think even an ugly-colored NATO strap might have been better.....
My AI transmitter arrived today. Going down to try it out now.

It is equally ludicrous to suggest a Teric owner must test the lug screws before every dive. Such an onerous procedure would trigger a global recall.

Is there an issue with the material of the lug? Does it suffer temperature expansion within too small a range? Is 24°C water warm enough to loosen a lug screw that is tight at factory temperature 17°C? Both lug screws were found to be loose. What is not yet known is why.

Traditional thread locker dissolves under water. Shearwater has since found a thread locker that works underwater, if you contact them they will have the local service center send you some new lugs with the new threadlocker.

I personally use Perdix straps, that the local Shearwater service center sent me, it gives me the redundancy similar to a NATO strap, but it has the elasticity of a bungee system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom