WARNING: Sulawesi Dive Quest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puerco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry about repeating a reply from another thread, but our downright foul and potentially dangerous experience with this "resort" merits a thread with a stronger title.

Please, please avoid SDQ like the plague!

We just returned on Monday from a trip we booked with them. It is unfortunately well known around Lembeh and Bunaken (but nowhere else) that SDQ doesn't really do business anymore. We had a different dive master each day (rented from other dive resorts). It was a nightmare getting gear from them that wasn't outright dangerous, and when we complained after the checkout dive, the "manager" said she would take care of it and then promptly vanished -- never to be seen again. We eventually scavenged enough gear from what the first rented dive guide had used to make a set!

To make matters worse, after we transferred from SDQ Lembeh to SDQ Bunaken, they left us there without a soul who could speak English. They tried to take us out on a dive with a non-English speaking, non-Divemaster dive guide. This was when we gave up and walked 50 meters down the beach to a place called Panorama, which ended up saving our vacation. I highly recommend them for diving on Bunaken.

SDQ is a non-functional group until someone falls into the trap and books a trip on their website. Then they rush to rent whatever is needed -- dive guides, boats, equipment, etc. Please do not patronize them. You will have at best an unpleasant experience and you could end up with a downright dangerous one.

Wow. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience & glad it was better on Bunakan.

I wonder if something changed since I dove with them last summer? I love to hear more. Were the guides good at spotting? Were there many guests staying there?

My experience was that the bungalows were simple but peaceful& the beach was beautiful.

Yes I agree the rental gear was awful enough for me to go home and invest $2,000 in new gear so I don’t ever have to dive stuff like that again. And I'm not picky

But there were many good divers there who just brought their own gear that were very happy. I don't think the guides were actually DM's - they just served as critter spotters. Not many people show up and use the rental gear, when I was there it was mostly experienced photographers and divers.

SDQ was one of the least inexpensive ways to dive Lembeh. The food was ok. The resorts do share rental gear, dive masters and boats and guides.

I wonder if you went on the off season? Except for the gear, my experience was very positive. I'm going back.

But I really don't recommend it for a beginner or someone who is use to a DM providing safety. If conditions are the same as last year -- It was a budget way for experienced flexible divers who doesn't need luxury to get a peek of Lembeh ;-)! I will take a solid partner this year.

If things are different I'd love to hear more.

Hi Kathydee.

One of the guys with us had dived SDQ two years ago and said it was MUCH different then. His recommendation was the reason we went with them. The local DM's that took us out in Lembeh were giving us half-smiles when we remarked about how unprepared SDQ was for our visit, and a couple of them mentioned that they really don't do business anymore on a regular basis.

To me, the most telling point was that they had to refill each tank after each dive, so we were looking at 2.5 hours surface time. I would think any real operational dive resort would have multiple bottles on standby and would be refilling empties while the next dive was out!

We had a couple of excellent dive guides brought in from other resorts, so there is no lack of them in the Lembeh area. It just seems that SDQ doesn't do enough business to keep one on the permanent payroll.

There were a couple Malaysian guys and a Finnish guy there -- serious dive photographers with 10's of thousands of dollars in gear -- and they were as disgruntled as we were. Promised night dives didn't occur, morning dives left two hours late, etc.

Really, I would NOT recommend this place.

:(

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention that everyone we talked to from a different resort (divemasters and managers) in Lembeh had worked for SDQ at one point and left because things were going downhill. Rumor had it that the guy who built up the business left and the owners couldn't find a replacement. Don't know if that's true or not though.

Hi Kathydee.

There were a couple Malaysian guys and a Finnish guy there -- serious dive photographers with 10's of thousands of dollars in gear -- and they were as disgruntled as we were. Promised night dives didn't occur, morning dives left two hours late, etc.

Really, I would NOT recommend this place.

:(

Humm even last summer we had two tanks each on every boat. Night dives were hit and miss depending on how many people wanted to go. 2.5 hours between each dive in the morning is too long-- I agree. We did have one long delay in the morning but only one. I wonder if efficiency depends on the number of guests?

Maybe I better look around to other shops. I was planning to visit again this summer?? Now I'm wondering. Will ask my friend - a dive instructor who is friends with the owner.

Thanks for the tip!

No problemo. To be honest we were ecstatic with everything non-SDQ that we found in Lembeh and Bunaken. Nice people, good diving. The non-management types at SDQ were also quite friendly and understanding in general, especially the cook! ;-)

I wish you well on your trip!

Oh, and Lembeh was wonderful (trying to be positive here :wink:)

We saw this flamboyant cuttlefish and this hairy frogfish on the same night dive!

(Photo credit to my friend Lubo)

:D

Attachments

• P1030699.JPG
    P1030699.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 54
  • P1030686.JPG
    P1030686.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 60
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom