Warning about dive schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Association of Diving Contractors, International has issued the following statement below:

The following items of information are provided to bring your attention to recent industry developments, initiatives, or safety notices.

WARNINGS
New Commercial Diver Training Facility
This advisory notice is to inform industry stakeholders of a newly formed training program in Chesapeake, VA.

DETAILS
Underwater Construction Academy claims that individuals that chose to attend this program can graduate without getting an ADCI Entry Level Tender / Diver Certification, and then obtain their ADCI certification through the company that they go to work for.
Please be advised that the Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI) will only issue certifications to graduates from our Associate Member Schools. This would include all of the schools that are members of the Association of Commercial Diving Educators (ACDE).
Member or non-member companies can no longer apply for certifications for new personnel who have not completed formal training from schools or programs recognized by the ADCI.
Military diver training from the United States Navy or other recognized international military diver training programs would be the only exception to the above requirement.
The ADCI encourages all stakeholders to refer to the ADCI Consensus Standards for Commercial Diving and Underwater Operations 6th edition, (Section 3.1.5 DOCUMENTATION ACCEPTED), for further information on obtaining certifications for diving personnel.

This Information was sent to further the communication of all industry stakeholders. Safety is the primary concern of the ADCI. Remember: a real-time Job Safety Analysis is important, but nothing can replace good common sense.
Sincerely,
Phil Newsum
Association of Diving Contractors International

Do your homework and check out any school you think you would want to go to. Or you could be wasting your money.

Netdoc: This would make a good sticky.

Does ACDI or anyone provide a scorecard of any type associated with the schools?

They are a joke as are most dive schools. Yes, I attended one of them..

What would be a good dive school to go to? and what is the normal cost to attend?

Nevermind i found another thread. thanks tho

What would be a good dive school to go to? and what is the normal cost to attend?

Nevermind i found another thread. thanks tho

What was the other thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still have no ideas. On posting a new post.well I am interested to become a underwater welder. What must I do in oder to work as underwater welder. Currently I Dont have any certificate .

HATZ

I still have no ideas. On posting a new post.well I am interested to become a underwater welder. What must I do in oder to work as underwater welder. Currently I Dont have any certificate .

HATZ

Diving is the easy part, being a good welder is the hard part. Diving just gets you to the job, what you can do once you get there will make all the difference. If you are a good welder already then you are most of the way there now. The only divers I ever meet who could not swim were both welders because it was easier to train a good welder to dive then it was to train a diver to be a good welder.

376985_2754693673168_1096782729_n.jpg 377517_2754634591691_1436896870_n.jpg 377517_2754634551690_1923866225_n.jpg fs_2736821.jpg 007_7.JPG ACDI is mainly a pay to play organization with a very narrow minded view of what it takes to be a commercial diver, a money grab...... IMHO....

Last edited:
The jury is still out with me about the ADCI. I am an older diver who attended a now closed but well respected school that was a "feedbox" for the old Taylor Diving & Salvage and other dive companies offshore and inshore. I believe I was well trained and participated in the industry for many years without any of my crew being injured. I had a lot of experience in construction prior to attending dive school and that greatly aided my abilities underwater. It is difficult to understand how an organization could turn its back on so many of us who did not receive their card years ago.

Back
Top Bottom