Warmth: 3/2 full vs 3/2 shorty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering how much warmer a 3/2 full suit (or full 3mm) is compared to a 3/2 shorty. I'm considering picking up a 3/2 or 3mm full suit for an upcoming liveaboard trip. Water temp is supposed to be in the 77-80F range. Last time I was there my rental computer was showing me temps anywhere between 73 and 81 (the temp chart suggests 81-85 for that time of year) and I was fine as far as I remember, in a 3/2 shorty (brand new at the time). This summer in dives around Utila and Bonaire, water temps 80-82, sometimes I was slightly chilled in the shorty while other times I was fine in just board shorts and a rash guard, most of the time I was fine in the shorty though.

So how much warmer is a 3/2 full suit? Is it worth picking up a full suit and possibly (probably) bringing both on the trip?

Definately, a 3/2 mm full suit ( steamer )!

Last edited by a moderator:
Carry them both if you can, I do...! I like having the flexibility of diving one or the other and even stacking them later in the week if I need to due to chill... Its how I go if I am diving Bonaire or even Roatan this week; I will have both...!

As far as adding overall warmth, I believe a 3mm cap helps quite a bit more but then again, maybe its all in my head!

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom