Warming huts for surface intervals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know which model you got, but they look good.

ex_vp.jpg

Aim a Salamander heater into the opening and prepare to roast.

b600.jpg

Actually, the Salamander heater would probably be enough all by itself. :D

Dave C

The combination of the pop up shelter and a heater is what we were discussing once.

Many of the pop up shelters you can get sides for. I know the ones at Dicks Sporting Goods you can. Consider getting two of them and putting them side by side as you want room to move around if you plan on gearing up inside it also. 4 people moving around in a 10'x10' or 12'x12' is more crowded than you think. (of course you can always put your gear outside also).

The salamander heater is nice and blows hot air, where the LP ones don't typically. However, you can get a LP salamander also that has an electric blower on it. I mention this because some people don't like hauling the ones that use diesel/kerosine. I think some of the smaller ones don't require the blower (electricity).

If you get a generator, get one of the Honda EU series that is ultra quiet. They cost a little more, but they are worth it if you don't want to listen to a generator. They aren't any more nosey than a stock truck running at idle. Yamaha makes a similar product.

The combination of the pop up shelter and a heater is what we were discussing once.

Many of the pop up shelters you can get sides for. I know the ones at Dicks Sporting Goods you can. Consider getting two of them and putting them side by side as you want room to move around if you plan on gearing up inside it also. 4 people moving around in a 10'x10' or 12'x12' is more crowded than you think. (of course you can always put your gear outside also).

The salamander heater is nice and blows hot air, where the LP ones don't typically. However, you can get a LP salamander also that has an electric blower on it. I mention this because some people don't like hauling the ones that use diesel/kerosine. I think some of the smaller ones don't require the blower (electricity).

If you get a generator, get one of the Honda EU series that is ultra quiet. They cost a little more, but they are worth it if you don't want to listen to a generator. They aren't any more nosey than a stock truck running at idle. Yamaha makes a similar product.

How do those "pop up's" handle in wind? I see no strings attached, and imagine they become airborne as soon as the breeze picks up? We've found the lavvus to take some wind if we use all the strings and plugs, but not A LOT of wind.

I get a dozen emails every month from some dude in China who thinks I'm the next king of tents in Europe, and offers a "bargain" on just a few thousands of his "pop ups". Prepaid, of course! :rofl3:

An LP-blower isn't very comfortable for heating in moist conditions, if you want to dry up at least. It gives off a lot of humidity from burning that gas. The diesel is a bit smelly (got one...), but ok. I suppose some can run on purified kerosene instead?

They don't do good in wind over about 15-20 mph. I've seen a gust twist a tent and break one of the metal roof supports. You can stake them down but a good gust will pull the stakes that come with it right out of the ground. I use a ratchet tie-down strap and fasten the center of mine to a picnic table then stake the legs down and that seems to work a little better in the wind.
Ber :lilbunny:

How do those "pop up's" handle in wind? I see no strings attached, and imagine they become airborne as soon as the breeze picks up? We've found the lavvus to take some wind if we use all the strings and plugs, but not A LOT of wind.

Yep, they act like a sail in the wind. Let me say that I've seen a couple of them on the bottom of local quarries! :rofl3:

Mine came with tie down ropes and stakes, but I've never used the stakes before. I usually use something heavy. At the local quarry, stakes won't work in the rock/gravel anyway. There we we weight bags or we tie a spare scuba tank to a tie down on each corner. (haven't lost one yet that way, but a strong wind could lift it with the tanks i imagine. Sometimes I park the SUV under one side and open the back doors and have tied it to the roof rack of it. but of course that could add damage to the SUV if the other side isn't weighted down.

Tieing several together helps also. at the local quarry if we put one up, then we usually put several up.

Ber's suggest of a rachet strap to a picnic tape is a good one. (haven't thought of that yet, but I rarely put it up over a heavy table).

An LP-blower isn't very comfortable for heating in moist conditions, if you want to dry up at least. It gives off a lot of humidity from burning that gas. The diesel is a bit smelly (got one...), but ok. I suppose some can run on purified kerosene instead?

most any one that runs off diesel will run off kerosene. which smells beter. LP has less foul odor. I'm not sure which is cheaper to run though. I pay about $15 bucks to get a 20lb propane bottle filled. I don't know which is more efficient or cost less to operate.

If you've ever tried using an LP-burner in a tent, you'll know what I'm talking about. When LP burns, you get...water! Which tends to get pretty humid in a small tent, and your clothes will not dry at all. So diesel, or even better, purified kerosene, is better for most purposes. But I strongly advice on large openings in the tent to get the fumes out.

If properly weighted I think any of these would work pretty good. With the water bags that I posted above you would have 20lbs on each leg. I would think that would take some wind to pick it up. I used mine one time and the wind was gusty so we dropped the side of the tent that faced the wind. So instead of getting under the tent it went over. Helped a bit but we lost a little space. I have seen ez-ups left up overnight at the quarries. Only thing that they did was weight it down. From what I could tell they didn't have much.

As far as heat...depends upon what you want to drag around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom