Warming huts for surface intervals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, finally found the one that I have from Sam's. It works rather well but it does need something to hold it down. Ez-up sells sand bags but I was thinking of something that would hold water but yet fold up flat when emptied.
I have a small LP heater that doesn't use electricity. It does a decent job of taking the edge off. I have seen guys with salamander heaters and that requires a generator. Just one more thing to haul.

Yours looks great for this purpose.

The combination of windbreak and a heater would certainly solve the OP's issue, but I'd think they'd be a major hassle to haul around and set up, IMHO. :D

You'd have to wonder how much heat you'd lose during setup, too, although I usually gear up in a snowmobile suit, so that wouldn't matter for me.... :)

Dave C

If you have a Sam's club, or what ever their other one is, you can buy an Ez-up with walls for around $165. I bought one two years ago and love it. The only thing that I haven't found is something to use to weight it down since most of the quarries are...well, rock. Thought about buying waterproof bags but the only ones that I find are in the UK, or way to expensive.

I've got one too. Do you put a picnic table in yours? I use a ratchet tiedown and run the strap over the center supports of my shelter and down to the picnic table bench or around a board in the table top. Works really well but don't snug it down so tight you bend something.
Ber :lilbunny:

The combination of windbreak and a heater would certainly solve the OP's issue, but I'd think they'd be a major hassle to haul around and set up, IMHO. :D

You'd have to wonder how much heat you'd lose during setup, too, although I usually gear up in a snowmobile suit, so that wouldn't matter for me.... :)

Dave C

They fold down small and set up quickly. The top is attached, all you have to do is have one person grab one side and one person grab the other then back away from each other to spread it out. Extend the legs, hang the sides on it and you're done. I can set one up by myself in about 20 minutes but it's harder to open it alone, you can cut that time in half with two people.

If you've got a decent heater they heat up quickly. Ten minutes in the cold to set up beats spending the entire dive day in the cold :D

They fold down small and set up quickly. The top is attached, all you have to do is have one person grab one side and one person grab the other then back away from each other to spread it out. Extend the legs, hang the sides on it and you're done. I can set one up by myself in about 20 minutes but it's harder to open it alone, you can cut that time in half with two people.

If you've got a decent heater they heat up quickly. Ten minutes in the cold to set up beats spending the entire dive day in the cold :D

Now I remember seeing these portable shelters at flea markets. I had forgotten that the frame and top simply unfold to set up. Not bad at all! :)

Actually, they look much easier to set up compared to the tarp windbreaks we struggled with on a windy ice dive a few years ago!

The water definitely felt warmer than the air that day! :D

Dave C

I've got one too. Do you put a picnic table in yours? I use a ratchet tiedown and run the strap over the center supports of my shelter and down to the picnic table bench or around a board in the table top. Works really well but don't snug it down so tight you bend something.

Well Ber it depends upon where I dive as to what I put in it. I have been known to set up over a tank bench so we can don, dof and stay warm. Nice idea about the strap though.

One thing I like about the ez-up is that is folds up pretty small for what it is. It can be a pain to get back in the storage bag but it seems to be getting easier every time I use it. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

OK guys this is what I am thinking about for a water bag. Cheap and they fold up nicely. Holding 2.5 gallons that should be enough weight on each leg to hold it down.

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make an effective warming hut/structure for surface intervals during this cold weather? Needs to be transportable and allow two to three people access. I know a heated trailer would be wonderful but it is not in the cards right now. Any suggestions?

Bus

These come cheap. You can use a portable wood stove inside, or even an open fire if you like.

I bring one along for daytrips and OWD-classes. They're excellent for overnights too, and come in different sizes. Here we call them LAVVU, a samii tent. I suppose you'd more think of it as an Indian tee-pee! :D

-Usually made in rip-stop polyester.

Pelsue Tents and Shelters Overview

I use these tents all the time at work. They set up with one person, in less than ten seconds. Seriously. They have no floor, and have tie-downs on three sides. They make a six foot tent, good for one-two people. The eight footer is good for two-four people. They are a little pricey, but they are pretty tough.

These come cheap. You can use a portable wood stove inside, or even an open fire if you like.

I bring one along for daytrips and OWD-classes. They're excellent for overnights too, and come in different sizes. Here we call them LAVVU, a samii tent. I suppose you'd more think of it as an Indian tee-pee! :D

-Usually made in rip-stop polyester.

Those look cool. But when I clicked on the link......didn't understand a word of it....I think I'll need you to translate :).

Those look cool. But when I clicked on the link......didn't understand a word of it....I think I'll need you to translate :).

Bet it's because you're not up on your Norwegian! :rofl3:

Nothing to translate, really. We sell these in our shop. They're not much for export anyways, to much hassle with taxes and stuff. And we're to small to deal with it. But I bet some outdoors distributor could link up with the producer for a deal. They've won tests, high quality and low prices. -Except US Dollar value is in the bottom of a bucket these days...:11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom