Warming huts for surface intervals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Busdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make an effective warming hut/structure for surface intervals during this cold weather? Needs to be transportable and allow two to three people access. I know a heated trailer would be wonderful but it is not in the cards right now. Any suggestions?

Bus

Diving warm-up hut?

Dome tent with a catalytic heater might be the easiest. Adequate ventilation would be important. :wink:

No, on second thought, the easiest would be to find a buddy with a van. :D

Wait, dive dry! :)

Dave C

Dave--

Already dive dry. The hut is so I can avoid having to sit in the car to warm up between dives. I appreciate the suggestions so far. Thanks.

How many people do you need to warm? I've used army surplus tents (for non-diving applications) - they're made of heavy canvas, are designed with ventilation for stoves, don't have a floor (no need to worry about burning down the tent with the heater) and are available in a range of large sizes (i.e. 12 people to over 100). If they can warm up 70+ wet, cold scouts after a night of crawling through snow, then they should fit your bill.

A propane heater or two and you're good-to-go.

I'm sure a smaller tent could be used for smaller groups, but most commercially tents are rather lightly made, and may not stand upto heavy use very well.

My personal method is to dive near pubs - nothing like a hot lunch of fish & chips, and a [-]beer[/-] coffee to warm you up between dives. Plus, you get the fun of having the other pub-goers staring at you as you sit down in your 1-piece undies, with your regs under your arms.

Bryan

If you have a Sam's club, or what ever their other one is, you can buy an Ez-up with walls for around $165. I bought one two years ago and love it. The only thing that I haven't found is something to use to weight it down since most of the quarries are...well, rock. Thought about buying waterproof bags but the only ones that I find are in the UK, or way to expensive.

If you have a Sam's club, or what ever their other one is, you can buy an Ez-up with walls for around $165. I bought one two years ago and love it. The only thing that I haven't found is something to use to weight it down since most of the quarries are...well, rock. Thought about buying waterproof bags but the only ones that I find are in the UK, or way to expensive.

Don't know which model you got, but they look good.

ex_vp.jpg

Aim a Salamander heater into the opening and prepare to roast.

b600.jpg

Actually, the Salamander heater would probably be enough all by itself. :D

Dave C

OK, finally found the one that I have from Sam's. It works rather well but it does need something to hold it down. Ez-up sells sand bags but I was thinking of something that would hold water but yet fold up flat when emptied.
I have a small LP heater that doesn't use electricity. It does a decent job of taking the edge off. I have seen guys with salamander heaters and that requires a generator. Just one more thing to haul.

Back
Top Bottom