Warm water fins: what's inexpensive, can take springs, and frog kick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I'm a mens size 10. I can wear XL Jets with a light to medium boot.

XS Scuba 7mm boots won't fit. Between the sole & the neoprene, they're just too big for an XL.

But, if your boot fits an XL Jet, it will fit an XL Slipstream.

I think hollis or HOG/edge (cant remember which off hand) makes a version of the jet fins which is lighter weight, you might try them.

Thanks everyone.

Slipstreams. I like my Avanti Quattros, but the Slipstreams are lighter.

The Dive Rites are on sale now, for $102 from Dive Rite Express. They also come in smaller sizes. They're nice and stiff, good for frog kicks, back kicks, and helicopter turns.

Two suggestions if you are looking for non vented fins. Take a look at the Cressi Rondine A's and the TUSA Liberator X-10's. The Cressi's are longer (about 26" from heel to tip) and definitely heavier than the TUSA's. I have both. The spring straps work on both. I'll be taking the TUSA's to Bonaire in July to save on weight and they are easier to pack.

FWIW, I'm a mens size 10. I can wear XL Jets with a light to medium boot.

XS Scuba 7mm boots won't fit. Between the sole & the neoprene, they're just too big for an XL.

But, if your boot fits an XL Jet, it will fit an XL Slipstream.
I would agree that the footpockets on the XL Jets are a little shorter on the top-to-bottom measurement. For this reason, I'm always looking for a solution between a molded sole boot with a tall sole and a bootie.

The Slipstreams have a bit more generous footpocket, but are definitely make of a stiffer material (some sort of plastic) vs. the rubbery nature of a pair of true Jets.

The Hollis F1 fin foot pockets are larger, I have them in L where I have XL Jets and Slipstreams. The problem with the Hollis size L is that the overall fin profile on these are more of a flutter kick fin than a Jet knockoff. The one nice thing is that they have a pin-based system to hold the springstraps that is adjustable. That said, I don't think I'll keep my F1s.

Stumbled on my old thread here... wanted to post a followup for the benefit of future searchers. I chose the Dive Rite fins and was really happy with them. They are light, let me do all my favorite kicks, and are only $100 WITH spring straps. Great tropical fin, IMHO.

Just to add something here . . . in the search for fins to use in the pool that weren't negative, I ended up with Deep See Pulse fins. Although I haven't taken them into salt water, I can do all the kicks, including the back kick, with no problem. LP sells them for $39.95, and you can put the commercial springs that fit into the plastic clips on them. It's a very inexpensive solution, and I'll report on how it works in the sea after we get home from the islands at the end of the month.

Just to add something here . . . in the search for fins to use in the pool that weren't negative, I ended up with Deep See Pulse fins. Although I haven't taken them into salt water, I can do all the kicks, including the back kick, with no problem. LP sells them for $39.95, and you can put the commercial springs that fit into the plastic clips on them. It's a very inexpensive solution, and I'll report on how it works in the sea after we get home from the islands at the end of the month.

Thanks, I too am searching for a good, lighter fin for wetsuit use. I was looking into the Dive Rites. I usually always use my XL Jets, which is perfect for drysuit diving but with a thin wetsuit, my feet feel too heavy. However, I wanted an expensive fin that would let me do frog kicks and back kicks. I'm going to order a pair of these Deep See and try them out!

J:

Back
Top Bottom