Warm Feet In A Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave.E

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not entirely diving related, but exposure suit related!

I am looking for suggestions on keeping my feet warm in cold water... You guys definitely know best. I do a lot of winter paddling and wear a drysuit with integrated over sized gore-tex socks.
kokatat_goretex_drysuit_radish300.jpg

What do divers wear on their feet for drysuits with this style of feet? Or do most have the built in hard boots?

Dave

I wear something similar to this: *Sport Diving - MK 3 Glacier Thermal Socks - Whites Diving

But the biggest thing is not compressing the insulation around your feet. If you are wearing any kind of shoe or boot over the Goretex sock, and it gets laced up or otherwise fastens tightly, no insulation will work very well. Similarly, if you are wading or otherwise having your feet the lowest part of your body, the water will squeeze all the air out of your feet, and they'll get cold. Air is warmth.

google "Lectra Sox" - my prior life was a stream fisherman.....

I double layer socks under my drysuit - one layer is snowboarding socks made of 'smartwool' and another layer is just sports socks. I'm pretty warm in 7 degree Celsius (45f) water.

I use chemical (hand, foot) warmers and I swear by them. They adhere to your inner socks and you can always find special sales on ebay. I've bought them for as little as $1 a set. No worries about extra thick socks or buoyancy issues!

I use Smart Wool hiking socks from REI.

I start with Smart Wool type socks, then put DUI Thinsulate 400g booties on. I have both integrated foot wear (Turbo Soles) and socks on my drysuits and use the same base layers no matter which one I dive.

What do divers wear on their feet for drysuits with this style of feet? Or do most have the built in hard boots? Dave
Your feet are "low man on the totem pole" for getting nice warm blood. Your brain gets first shot at it, them I believe your chest, then it works out from there to your fingers and toes. If your head isn't warm, your feet won't be warm even if you wrap them in an entire goose down sleeping bag. Keep your head and chest as warm as possible, and your hands and feet will follow. flots.

Last edited:
Good wool socks topped with Forth Element 'Hot Socks'. Totally comfy in 40F water for 45 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom