wanting to film defensive reactions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee once bubbled...
I agree with everyone else.

Just don't do it. In fact, I have deleted photos from this forum because for every photo of a puffed puffer, there are new divers seeing it and thinking it acceptable to treat the wildlife that way.

Great to hear this. All too often we are silent when we see something wrong being done.

Don't bother your underwater hosts!

DSDO

Alan

You're obviously concerned about this, thanks for asking others
opinions, mine being, keep it natural.

TRIG

:)

I've found that if I sit patiently near my subject and wait a few minutes, some other idiot will come up and scare the daylights out of it for me. I just wait until that happens, take the picture and my conscience is clear. Of course then you have to make sure the idiot(s) doesn't walk all over you or your camera (as more than a few dozen have).

In keeping with Dee's response, I'd like to ask the great whites not to scare me when I'm under water. The stress reminds me too much of my former job!

Dr. Bill

PS- For the humor-impaired, this post was in jest (well, most of it anyway)

OK, lets not stress the fish. Query? how much stress does a fish feel when approached by a 200lb creature, tank on it's back blowing bubbles, carrying camera and strobe, working it's way in close for that "natural" shot. Think about it folks.

When a puffer puffs up it is eqivalent to a mild heart attack in a human. Anyone out there enjoy their heart attacks? I saw a puffed up puffer on South Beach two weeks ago. It must have been the big puff for him. Dead on the beach! I hope it wasn't for a picture.

Joe

scubabear once bubbled...
OK, lets not stress the fish. Query? how much stress does a fish feel when approached by a 200lb creature, tank on it's back blowing bubbles, carrying camera and strobe, working it's way in close for that "natural" shot. Think about it folks.

Well I guess a lot less than if you force the behavior with a mirror or tickle it in to puffing up just so you can get a picture.

Be serious. Your response was ridiculous.

DSDO

Alan

Scubabear you have a valid point. That's why there are alot of us photographers who back off as soon as we see any signs of stress. But just as in any other group, there are putzy photographers and putzy divers in general, who continue to physically harass the livestock, chase them around the reef, tear up the corals, etc. The best any of us can do IS our best and influence by example, not with words.

You're just asking for trouble IMO.
Let's look at the popular puffers that keep getting mentioned. These things eat coral. They have a mouth with (what looks like) 2 big teeth. One on top and one on bottom. They bascially eat things that are hard as rocks with these. If you go sticking your finger in their face to try to get them to puff up, you're likely to get a broken finger when they mack on it. Sargeant Majors, they're pretty, but if you get close to their nest or teritory, they will bite the crap out of you. I've had them draw blood on my wrist where it was unprotected.
I'm not going to say "oh, you're a big meanie for picking on the fish" The fish can get away if they want to, but they can just as easily fight if they want to, also so don't be surprised if you get nipped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom