Wanting to Buy a Dive Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, i wish I had some of the tritium on my flashlight!

I dove with a very basic digital $30 Casio (200meter) for 7 years and never had any problems with it. Replaced it when the battery died because getting the battery replaced somewhere that could pressure check the watch after replacing the battery sounded like a pain. If you're diving in an exposure suit purchasing a velcro or neoprene wristband will ensure you can wear the watch on your wrist over your suit. You will want to go with no less than a 200 meter rating, any watch rated less than that will leak.

If you decide on a watch with a bezel make sure the bezel only turns one way, counter-clockwise. A bezel that can turn both ways may cause you to violate your bottom time if you bump it and turn the bezel clockwise.
Ber :bunny:

I purchased the Timex Ironman HUMVEE edition for $69. It has a velcor band, is good to 200M and you could probably run over it with a truck and not scratch it. I use it as a back-up bottom timer (stopwatch funtion)for my suunto mosquito. I also set the timer function for 3 minute safety stops.

Anyone who purchases a Cititzen dive watch at those prices is a sucker!!! I work for a dive shop in Southern Ca. and we always laugh when we see someone diving with one of those. The Hyper Aqualand and the Titanium Aqualand sell out here for anywhere from $300 to $400. We all know you can get a Suunto Stinger for the same price or a Musquito for even less on sites like SimplyScuba or LiezurePro. While I agree that these watches are pretty cool (for redundancy) why not spend the same price or less and get a full decompression, nitrox computer!!!???

Because I like watches.
I'm not going to wear a Stinger, Mossy, or Vyper anywhere but diving.

Sumguy,

Nothing but love for ya bro... But thats just plain silly! The Stinger isn't really much bigger than the Citizen. Spending that kind of money for a watch when you can get a fully functioning computer just makes sense. As a matter of fact, truth be known, many divers choose the stinger mainly because it is such a great looking, sporty watch.

Personal preference. I've spent more than that on a watch that goes nowhere near the water. And I already have a computer.

I can't argue with personal preference... different strokes for different folks... my only response would be the advantage of a back up computer. If your computer takes a dump, you're back on the RDP, which basically means your cooked for the day if you were diving near the no-stop limits. Although your Citizen records depth, it is not going to give you no-deco time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom