Wanting to Buy a Dive Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving and want to buy a basic dive watch -- not a lot of $$$.

Any recommendations?

Is digital o.k. or should I buy a watch with the revolving 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 dial?

Is 300 feet deep enough if I do not plan to go below 100 feet? Or do i need a 200 Meter (660 feet) water resistant watch?

Thanks for your help.

If you don't want to spend a lot of $ Timex - Ironman does the trick. Less than 40Cdn (about 25 USD)

Gives time, and allows for timing of 'laps' - which you can use for safety stops, and SI.

I would suggest a good basic analog watch with a rotating bezel. Check out the many on-line vendors mentioned on the BBS such as Leisure-Pro, or others and compare prices.

I set the uni-directional rotating bezel at the start of my dive, and use it as a back up to my dive computer (a wrist mounted Vyper).

I would go for a 200 meter depth rating, and would not trust a cheap digital with push buttons. Many of these will loose their seal if the buttons are pushed underwater.

If you decide to save a few $ and get a digital, and your primary timing device does fail during a dive, I would suggest aborting the dive immediately.

I went for a Seiko Divers 200M with screw-down crown about 10 years ago, and have not regretted it one bit.

DSAO.

I have a Fossil, that has a bezel that you can set....I don't generally use it for diving.....but it does say it's good till 100 Meters on it.

I spent about $40 on it.

Citizen makes good dive watches. A little more expensive than others mentioned here, but some include depth display. Under $300.

$300.00 will get you a dive compuiter and a nice dinner in NYC! I like the US navy seals type watches with tritium so they are always visible in low or no light conditions, the best for night diving.

Yeah, but would you wear your Mossy on your wrist while eating that nice dinner? :wink: Leisure Pro has some of the Citizens starting at $210 (that's under $300). After spending thousands on gear, some might not consider that a lot of $$$. I'm looking for a good dive watch, myself, and I want one that will show my depth, for redundancy. That's the only reason I brought up the Citizens.

I agree that Citizen is the way to go. They have a very wide selection and price ranges. I wanted something that was not only useful for Scuba diving but looked good for the surface intervals as well. Citizen fit the bill perfectly and did not cost me the price of a Rolex!

I use it all the time in the water and above and don't have any complaints. I use mine as a backup to my primary dive computer.

- JG

I bought a LumiNox "Navy Seals" (black) and have been exceedingly satisfied with it. The Tritium is so darn bright that my wife insists that I take it off at night... it WILL keep her up. If the house is really, really dark, it will provide enough light to see the couch BEFORE I run into it. I don't recommend it as a "backup light" mind you, but reading the numerals in ANY light situation is a cinch. It is good to 200 meters and does not look flashy at all (except from twilight til dawn). They come with both a rubber and a velcro band. I think I paid $140 or so for mine. One of the best SCUBA purchases I have ever made!!! BTW, I hike and camp alot, and it is soooooo easy to see this when you just want to check the time and your eyes are still a bit blurry from sleep, the intense brightness really helps you to focus on the time. I even used it once to help locate the flashlight that I put by my head but seemed to have walked down to my feet.

Back
Top Bottom