Wanted Old Cochran Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jvanostrand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm working on software to access Cochran dive computer logs. The software is freely available and allows any dive logging software maker to read Cochrans. One good example is Subsurface. Currently the software supports EMC and some Commander models.

What I need are older Cochran computers for testing. Really old (circa 1995) Commanders would be helpful. Perhaps the most recent model I need is a Gemini since it was current just a few years ago. I'd be happy with any other old models as well.

If you'd like to donate or loan your old dive computer to the cause send me a PM.

Thanks.

Could you provide a link for your software?

The software I'm working on is a library, not end-user. A good end-user program that uses this library to read Cochran computers is Subsurface. You can also check libdivecomputer, a library for communication with various dive computers. web site for more applications that use the software.

Right now it should support a limited number of Cochran EMC and Commander computers but as soon as they release a new binary it will support a wide range.

I bought a Commander Nitrox in 2000 and it has been awesome using ever since. Electronics do change over time so now it is time to upgrade to the new EMC 20H and for just $600 it cannot be beat for what it is capable of. I fail to understand what jvanostrand has in mind by collecting old Cochran computers...reverse engineer them? I for one would not donate my old one. I wonder why he doesn't work with the Cochran folks?? I detect something fishy! Maybe he should just level with us and tell the truth.

The OP provides his objectives in the first paragraph of his post. I don't see anything fishy in allowing people who wish to use a specific dive logging program to access the Cochran Logs.

There is nothing "fishy" about what John is working on. He's a stand up guy and I've volunteered my Commander next time he visits Florida.

I wish Cochran Undersea Technology was more accommodating. I've made several calls and talked to Mike Cochran directly. I was clear about what I wanted to accomplish, the benefits his company might see (like smartphone access to logs,) and that I was only asking a minimal amount of time from his staff. I asked for very specific information, like how to identify the model and capacities from the download data. They aren't interested in helping. It was a little unexpected because I've otherwise found Cochran to be very accommodating and responsive with sales and support. I've continued to keep Mike updated with the new software features and releases and those emails have never been responded to.

It's the model and capacity information that's the most important. Models are (used to be?) sold cheaper with some of the log capacity restricted by software. In order to properly read the data I need to know this information otherwise my software will only work with fully enabled computers.

Also, like I've posted in the past, I need more units to test. I have it working with the 4 Cochran computers I own and with the models my local dive buddies use, but a sample of about 7 isn't really enough to claim it widely works.

I also have some potentially destructive things I want to try and I'm hesitant to do it with computers that I dive and models that I only have one example of. I've purchased used Cochrans for testing but I'd like to reduce how much I'm spending on this because it's essentially volunteer work.

People like Doc Ben are actually the ones who I think might like to contribute. They upgrade to newer Cochrans and have their old one lying around. If they don't like Cochran's Analyst log software and are using Subsurface or another one that uses my software this is an opportunity to help out the guy who made that possible. To my knowledge the software I created is the only one outside Cochran than can read a Cochran computer.

I wish Cochran Undersea Technology was more accommodating. I've made several calls and talked to Mike Cochran directly. I was clear about what I wanted to accomplish, the benefits his company might see (like smartphone access to logs,) and that I was only asking a minimal amount of time from his staff. I asked for very specific information, like how to identify the model and capacities from the download data. They aren't interested in helping. It was a little unexpected because I've otherwise found Cochran to be very accommodating and responsive with sales and support. I've continued to keep Mike updated with the new software features and releases and those emails have never been responded to.

It's the model and capacity information that's the most important. Models are (used to be?) sold cheaper with some of the log capacity restricted by software. In order to properly read the data I need to know this information otherwise my software will only work with fully enabled computers.

Also, like I've posted in the past, I need more units to test. I have it working with the 4 Cochran computers I own and with the models my local dive buddies use, but a sample of about 7 isn't really enough to claim it widely works.

I also have some potentially destructive things I want to try and I'm hesitant to do it with computers that I dive and models that I only have one example of. I've purchased used Cochrans for testing but I'd like to reduce how much I'm spending on this because it's essentially volunteer work.

People like Doc Ben are actually the ones who I think might like to contribute. They upgrade to newer Cochrans and have their old one lying around. If they don't like Cochran's Analyst log software and are using Subsurface or another one that uses my software this is an opportunity to help out the guy who made that possible. To my knowledge the software I created is the only one outside Cochran than can read a Cochran computer.

Still sounds like an attempt to reverse engineer to me. Why choose the Cochran line of computers? Doing this with other brands? Would you be willing to sign an NDA and pay some fees for their information? Have you offered this? After all, they likely spent some bucks developing their software and unit firmware. NOTE...I in no way represent Cochran...just curious what Jvanostrand is really trying to do.

If others here want to donate, no problem...its a free world. But for me to donate an item I paid hundreds for, to a person whom I have no knowledge about, is not happening.

Is there any value to also (or only) asking for sample dive logs for various models?

When I looked at the Uwatec dive logs (many, many) years ago the DataTrak raw logfile contained info regarding the computer. So having just a few sample logfiles from each module worked in that case - but then all Aladin models talked the same protocol. So YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom