Wanted - Blue Steel Valve Schematic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

owlbill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a schematic with torque settings for a Blue Steel (early OMS looking Sano Sub design) valve.

Before anyone starts in with "torque is xxx for all burst disc and xxx for all bonnet nuts", I have seen several other manufacturers specs (Thermo, Sherwood, Genesis) and there are many differences in the torque settings. I am trying to get the correct ones for Blue Steel. We don't deal with this company but someone brought a cylinder to us and the valve needs servicing.

Thanks in advance.

Send Bud Allen <bud@bluesteelscuba.com> an email. Unlike the above post I have always had a good response from Bud on my questions.

We have had success with the email approach, but also managed to speak to a live person by telephone.
Before anyone starts in with "torque is xxx for all burst disc and xxx for all bonnet nuts", I have seen several other manufacturers specs (Thermo, Sherwood, Genesis) and there are many differences in the torque settings. I am trying to get the correct ones for Blue Steel. We don't deal with this company but someone brought a cylinder to us and the valve needs servicing.

On a more humorous note, I have come to a new specification, with regard to torque values for essentially all valve brands: 'Tighten burst disk and bonnet nut until valve does not leak when cylinder is pressurized.'

After too many years of frustration with tightening to manufacturer specifications, then filling the cylinders and putting them in the water tank to leak check, only to see bubble streams from a not insignificant percentage of valves, I have given up on manufacturer specs and adopted the one cited above.

Send Bud Allen <bud@bluesteelscuba.com> an email. Unlike the above post I have always had a good response from Bud on my questions.
This is the response that I got from bud when I requested a torque spec

"We would suggest you contact the local shop that you purchased the cylinder at for assistance in this matter. Insertion of valve in cylinders is critical and only authorized and trained technician should perform this."

not very helpful

I am looking for a schematic with torque settings for a Blue Steel (early OMS looking Sano Sub design) valve.
Go to the Blue Steel website, specifically the 'valves' page. Not only is there a parts schematic, the torque values are also there as well. Blue Steel Scuba - Valve Repair Parts

Here you go.
Found it on the internet.

Attachments

• Blue-Steel-Scuba-Valve-Specs.pdf
    209.4 KB · Views: 90

Back
Top Bottom