Wanted American Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I gather lowviz, I have at least a 5 1/2 carapace on this lobster, so 4 pounds from you link, as my buddy had not a true reading scale, and I feed it dungie crab as they said in link it is there diet.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

also I wonder why claw teeth did not match, thought infection.

Yes I will, also put in freezer real quick to put asleep before it hit the pot.

Very cool - nice catch.

A few points

1) If American Lobster were an invasive species......thats one invasive species I would HOPE for!!!!!
2) Now you see what I do on almost every dive in NJ - - I spend 80% of my time looking for Lobster!! (just not allowed to spear them here)
3) Its actually easy to grab them. They have very limited range of movement of the claws and can reach up - but not back. You can reach your hand right down the center and grab the carapace with a slight twisting motion, and you will have them out before they even react. BUT - since you are allowes to spear and not worried about killing an egg carrying female, why not just spear it. We hav eto check every lobster for eggs, or a V notch in the tail - so we cannot injure them.
4) The claws will never match. One is a crusher and the other is a shredder. Also - a lobster will "release" a claw if it is grabbed and feels its life is in danger. A one clawed lobster will regrow its claw - but sometimes we find a lobster with an absurdly looking small claw as it is regrowing.

5) Next time - try steaming it!! Sometimes I boil, sometimes I steam. Either way - save the juices and make some lobster stock - then some lobster bisque - DELICIOUS!!!!!

So It is my understanding that back in the 40's -50's There was an attempt by the BC government to transplant Atlantic Lobster at certain sites along the BC Coast in an attempt to start a fishery. However, it was not successful because the lobster need very specific temperature changes at certain times of the year to begin breeding and spawning. There are still a few of the old ones kicking around along the coast that were never caught, and they are big (as seen in your catch). I don't know if the US attempted the same thing at any time, but it is also possible.

So what you've found is a rather rare lobster, awesome thing to see!

manni it was steamed, I seen a steamer contraption in the pot, and the cooker has cooked lobster before many times she told me.

Yes no females here, although would like to identify next before.

Neilsent here is a link where they did transplant in san juans and in pot towndsend about a 100 years ago and a little less.

Saltwater People Log

So It is my understanding that back in the 40's -50's There was an attempt by the BC government to transplant Atlantic Lobster at certain sites along the BC Coast in an attempt to start a fishery. However, it was not successful because the lobster need very specific temperature changes at certain times of the year to begin breeding and spawning. There are still a few of the old ones kicking around along the coast that were never caught, and they are big (as seen in your catch). I don't know if the US attempted the same thing at any time, but it is also possible.

So what you've found is a rather rare lobster, awesome thing to see!

That lobster must have been a more recent release from someone that got it at the grocery store. If he was there since the 40s or 50s, he would be HUGE......

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

manni it was steamed, I seen a steamer contraption in the pot, and the cooker has cooked lobster before many times she told me.

Yes no females here, although would like to identify next before.

Neilsent here is a link where they did transplant in san juans and in pot towndsend about a 100 years ago and a little less.

Saltwater People Log

Ok - but no Bisque? Its DELISH!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom