Want to take Mona Island trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldRoger

New
Reaction score
My son lives in Aguada Puerto Rico. I live in Jacksonville, FL. We are interested in getting up a trip to Mona Island for 4 to 7 days, depending on wether we can explore the Island itself before or after diving. The only 2 live aboards we can find are Juliet and Nekton, and both advise to get trip insurance, because if they cancel, they say they will not refund money. This seems a bit extreem. All the charters I have taken as single day don't keep your money if they cancel...is this true of all live aboards?

Also, we are looking to go the second half or August, 2009, but don't have a specific time in mind. Right now we only have 4 people, but would welcome others who want to go. Anyone else want to share a trip, with enough people to dictate itenerary? I welcome inquiries. Also, I'm soliciting suggetions on trips to Mona.

Get real man, I would love to dive on the Juliet. Trip insurance is reasonable condsidering this is hurricane season. Wow, what a dive opportunity!

Good diving, Craig

Trip insurance to me means to insure lodging, airfare, transportation to the location, etc. Not the trip itself. If they can cancel at their whim, weather and mechanical breakdown included, and keep any deposit or any other pre-paid funds, that's just not acceptable. If they don't have the expenses for food, gas, fuel, etc., why can they keep my money? That's why I asked if this is common of other live aboards.

oldroger,
welcome to this board.
my buddy and i will be on the juliet 8/15-21/09.
this is our first trip to mona island.
i've heard the juliet provides her guests with great diving.
if you go earlier, please drop us a trip report.
i'll do the same upon our safe return.
regards,

Hi Smokey, Son here:

We are trying to get 6 people together so that we can make a few changes to the trip. My father and I are familiar with the Desecheo dives and I have a clear view of the island from my penthouse. As a result, we are trying to skip the desecheo dives and go straight to mona and monita. We are also trying to do whatever we have to in order to get clearance to actually embark on the island. From what we were told, they don't do that any more. If not, that might be a deal breaker.

With whom did you acquire trip insurance and how much did you pay?

Do you have any room left on the cruise by any chance? If we can't get the group assembled we might look at filling some extra spots.

corey o.
welcome to this board.
my wife always buys the trip insurance, i'll have to ask her how much.

here is her web site.
Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving

everytime i call i speak to john, who is one of the owners/captains.
give him a shout and maybe he will let y'all explore the island.

i hope you enjoy your holday.
regards,

Hey Smokey,

When I said embark, I meant disembark.

Already been to the website and talked to John. The first paragraph is an explanation of our intent for this trip based on the conversation that I had with john.

They require at least 6 people to reserve a trip. They also require deposits that increase in amount the closer that the reservation is made to the date of the trip. If you make the reservation with that many people, they have no problems about altering the itinerary of the trip to accommodate you.

It would seem that the PR government is making it increasingly harder to gain access to the island and, as a result, it is too much paperwork for the Juliet team to provide in the standard package.

Does anyone know more on what's involved with getting clearance to gain access to the island?

Can anyone else give us an idea of the cost of trip insurance? I too am leery about putting a large sum of money down that may be revoked by one of many likely variables.

~ Corey O.

Smokey & I just got back from a great trip on the Juliet. We did Desecheo, Mona & Monita Islands and had a great time. TS Anna kept us in port one day and forced our return the 2nd but the Captain made up for it later in the week. There is no exploring the island as I was able to find out, too much red tape I guess.
The Juliet's a great ship and the crew does a good job. Trip insurance is probably going to run you less than $100 and it's definitely worth it during this time of year. CSA is one company that I have used for insurance.

Back
Top Bottom