Want to take great pictures on my next dive vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$300 US is NOT a good deal for a DC1200. Look on EBay and you'll find several that are less than that WITH at least one light. Aside from that, it's a great camera.

A couple quick tips that are grossly over simplified:

Get lots of light on your subject. Colours (notably reds) start to fade in as little as 8-10 feet, so unless you are pretty much right on the surface, your pics will need to have that lost colour replaced.

I would like to thank everyone for their feedback and especially thank you (Hoag) very much for these great tips. This is the kind of experienced input I was hoping to receive. Thanks again and have a great day.
PS are you related to a guy named Charlie or Linus you look familiar. Just cant quite place it though.

you need 2 things to take great pictures
- the proper equipment
- the proper skill set
If you do not know what you are doing then a fancy camera will not rescue you. It also takes certain camera gear to get certain types of pictures.

Based upon your questions I assume you are a beginner photographer. with the DC1200 you should be able to take okay pictures, but taking great pictures will take training / experience and better equipment.

$400 seems a little steep for such an old and simple camera. does the price include a tray and strobe?
Yes it is the complete package.

I've just bought the Micro 2 Pro 1500 set for my upcoming trip to the Philippines.
Hoping the one 1500 lumen Seadragon video light will be sufficient for both stills and video down to 100 feet.

Hoag had a lot of good points. The suggestion on RAW is not bad, but I think is a bite too much for newbies to this world. I've been shooting for years and JUST starting into this realm. Having to mess with RAW editing software on top of all the damn hardware and other complication of UW photography can be more than a bit much. That's IF the camera will even do RAW. I suspect the Sealife will not.
No the Micro 2 doesn't do RAW :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom