Want to start Rebreather training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP- Correction, I made a slight error yesterday, after going over my tables later I relized that it is 4.94, and not 4.30, so the calculation for my correction comes to: 16.00x4.94= 79, now 3000/79= 37 mins (still close to 40) with a single AL 80 (w/o reserve) as for no deco still that means if you dive air than 10 mins max, with EAN 32 (according to an EAD of 110') that gives you 16 mins, so no I can't stay at 130' for 37 mins and expect not to get bent, I would need more gas for a reserve, and gas for deco + a plan for the deco dive.

Please read my words carefully and try and understand what I am trying to say..

After reading your posts and reply to posts it seems like deja vu.. ABout 10 years ago a dive club I was helping run had a very enthusiastic 16 year old diver.. When he dove with us we always had an experienced diver with him.. His skills were excellent but being a 16 YO, decision making and feeling of invincibility were what you yould expect from someone that age..

This diver collected alot of recreational specialties, the decided he wanted to take on more challenging dives, Myself and several otehr divers tried to convince him to slow down and have fun... I tld him I'd do his technical training when he was 18... Well that was the last thing he wanted to hear.. What did he do.. He found a TDI instructor and got a waiver to do decompression training (I believe he was the firsts case).. He did his training quickly.. While he dove with us we kept him within recreational limits, He dove with another group and got bent, basically beacuse of a bad decision.. a few weeks later he dove of another boat with his tech instructor where basically everyone is on their own..

To make things short, he got himself entangled and paniced.. He lost his reg and was technically dead.. He was found by another diver and brought to the surface and revived.. He spend several months in a hos[ital learning how to do basic things like feed himself and walk.. He needed 3 weeks of byperbaric treatments and was left with permanent anurysms in his brain.. By this time he was about 17... He was told NEVER to fly in an airplaine or risk a rupture of one of the anutysms and to NEVER dive again....

Take your time, Have fun you have alot of time ahead of you, and find a good mentor on the types of diving you want to do...

I reiterate - you don't need a rebreather at age 16. Padipro has seen teens push the envelope too far. So have I. There is zero need to push it hard as a teen / young adult. The consequences as seen above can be devastating and results are there with you for the rest of your life. As an instructor I would never, ever recommend RB training, or getting an age waiver for something like a CCR.

View this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/298148-10-yr-old-wreck-diver.html

You'll see a constant stream of opinion, and total BS from divers who don't teach and think that it's OK to do risky stuff. Why - they don't know the other side of the coin (teen injury, or death), and feel free to dole out total BS on the net. This is of course - the net where everyone is an 'insta-expert.'

Technical diving should be done for a purpose, age appropriate, and with a fair degree of conservatism, surfeit time to accrue skills, mentoring from dive instructional professionals (qualified instructors) who have the body of knowledge (and conservatism) to guide wisely during formative teen and young adult years.

As an example to you - I took a student from age 13 to techie over a period of 8+ years. He's learned some of the basics of RB diving, but one thing I dialed in his brain over the years is that unless there's a reasonable purpose, or need - why bother with an RB, or push the envelope?

X

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

off-topic comments and follow-up quotes have been removed

Any SDI types out there that can verify minimum age for SDI Solo Diver is 21?

Here's some info. I found regarding solo cert. from SSI. From a liability perspective - I don't see any agency signing off on a kid wanting to dive solo. Too much risk.

Dive Global :: Solo Diving
Solo Scuba Diving

As stated before BS - someone wanting to dive a RB, or asking about scooters for caves should begin their tutelage by being truthful and thanking those of us who are offering sound, and even contrary advice. Contrary to the ears of a 16 yr old invincible mindset.

X

X

Atomic,
Slow down and master all of the basic skills, before even thinking of rebreathers. You are not likely to be doing any dives that you will need a rebreather for. I dive rebreathers when I have a need to, other than that need, I use doubles or sidemount. I only know one person who was certified on a breather by IANTD at 16 years old and that's a special case, he never went without his father.

I used to work in the Dive Industry, specifically on rebreathers, so I know and understand that things can go wrong. Some of the problems I have seen were taxing on the adults that were diving them, I would hate for those to happen to a kid. At 16 you don't have the maturity and experience to handle some of the things that can happen. Not trying to be negative towards you, but you need to slow way down.

Edit: I am wearing a breather in my avatar, I did not need it for this dive, I was testing it.

Atomic_Diver, It's more than 2 years later and you're probably over 18 now. So, what happened with your rebreather endeavor?

WB2GLP.... good thread to revive! one of the better ones and leaves me very interested to see if this kid is still diving let along interested in rebreathers.

This is late but it probably still applies since he would only be 18 or so by now.

to what i am now,
which is a PADI Master Scuba Diver, TDI Intro to Cave Diver, TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver, PADI Wreck Penetration diver, SDI Solo Diver, among other specialty courses,

Any SDI types out there that can verify minimum age for SDI Solo Diver is 21?

I usually try not to get into a conversation like this by starting out with this kind of comment, but you really should verify the SDI Solo certification, its not available to anyone under 21, waiver or not. If you are only 16, you are not of a legal age in any state to be able to complete the required waiver for a Solo dive. If an instructor did certify you for Solo, then the poor fool was either shown a fake ID or he/she decided that they just dont care and will teach anyone anything for money and they lied on the certification application.

As an Old Military Breather diver and a Meg owner, I can also add that I would not even contemplate diving with anyone that was 16 with a breather.

I dont think you will find a rebreather manufacturer that will sell you a breather without sending it to an instructor, if you buy one from an individual, then you will have a hard time finding an instructor.

Last point, and I would hope that I am qualified to say this, TDI doesnt have a waiver for what you are looking for. The waivers are used to release an instructor from liability, and any instructor that would teach a 16 year old to use a rebreather would probably not last long in a court of law if and when something went wrong during or even years after the training was completed.

As for an instructor telling you to think about rebreathers, does he dive breathers? Is he a rebreather instructor? Does he have a friend that will teach rebreathers? Is he sane enough to understand that telling a 16 year old to pursue technical training at that level is not only dangerous, but asinine?

My advice to 16 year olds... Slow down, get some years under your belt as a regular diver, find out what your limits are and dont push your limits, get a good instructor to teach you the things that you dont know before you try and figure them out yourself, dive a lot and get better at diving, you should even consider becoming an instructor someday, then you will look back on this thread and understand what we are trying to tell you. Besides, you might be the guy that saves the next 16 year old from pushing too hard and killing themselves just because they thought they need to go farther and faster than the rest of the world.

Back
Top Bottom