Want to start Rebreather training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic_Diver

Scubaboard Enthusiast
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I was wanting to try and start Rebreather training, and was looking to get some advice as to which rebreather to get training on at my age (16), i was looking at the CCR Inspiration/Evolution Air Dillute course since the TDI offers that course with parental consent, is there any other Rebreather types that may be better, and would be available to someone my age?

-Thanks...

Three questions:
1) Are you sure about a waiver? I've never heard of a CCR cert for someone under 18.
2) What do you want to do with the CCR? Inspro/Evo are good but they've been around a while. Might consider something manual. Love the rEvo it's tiny compared to most and I can get in and out of stuff better than most of my CCR buddies.
3) Are your parents paying for this and are they looking to adopt?

1) yes, i have done my research and yes they have a waiver (TDI)
2) i would like to have a rebreather certification so i can stay down longer,and not worry about the best mix, and when i do turn 18 use it for cave diving
3) I am splitting the cost with them with the money i saved from my job, and they offered to purchase a rebreather for me
4) i don't know what you mean by looking to adopt?

It means, if they are paying the bill he wants to be your brother!:D

My fiance dives a KISS rebreather and loves it. If you visit dedicated rebreather online community pages like Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step and thedecostop.com, you'll find that folk are extremely partisan about the rebreathers they favor. For that reason - and because I'm not a certified rebreather diver myself - I wouldn't presume to opine on whether there any other rebreather types that may be better for you, and would be available to someone your age. There are other people that can do that, and you'll find them on the two sites I mentioned, so do sign up! They're great resources for folk that want to go the rebreather route: you'll find forums dedicated to everything from choosing a rebreather, selecting an instructor, tales about the training process, accident analysis, and lists of rebreather-friendly dive operations.

Good luck.

You don't need a rebreather at age 16. Your need to stay down longer can easily be accomplished by something other than a CCR. Go shallow. Use hookah etc.

As a RB instructor I wouldn't be pushing the idea of using a CCR to anyone under the legal age.

X - Inspiration Instructor

1) yes, i have done my research and yes they have a waiver (TDI)
2) i would like to have a rebreather certification so i can stay down longer,and not worry about the best mix, and when i do turn 18 use it for cave diving
3) I am splitting the cost with them with the money i saved from my job, and they offered to purchase a rebreather for me

1) Sweet with a waiver from TDI.

2) If you are looking to cave dive I'd really encorage you to look around before you drop money on an inspro, you might love it might not but really do your homework. Like I already said my rEvo is awesome but there are other great ones as well like the KISS or Meg with the new BMCL. Might do a KISS first as they are fairly inexpensive right now due to the compitition out there and when you are ready to do cave keep going with it or change to something else.

Bad news if your getting a rebreather so you don't have to worry about best mix you need to do more homework. I'm checking and verifying my mix every 20 -30 seconds (or more often).

3) You've got a sweet gig going with your parents, would still say really do your homework before plunking down the cash.

4) You've got a really sweet gig with your parents...I had to tell my wife I'd sell the motorcycle to get my rebreather. Which reminds me...

Lastly I'd totally go with Mr X and his recommendation.

You don't need a rebreather at age 16. Your need to stay down longer can easily be accomplished by something other than a CCR. Go shallow. Use hookah etc.

As a RB instructor I wouldn't be pushing the idea of using a CCR to anyone under the legal age.

X - Inspiration Instructor

Bottom line is, we are all freakn' jealous! What I'd give to go back to my teen years and learn how to dive a rebreather!! On the other hand coming from the perspective of a 40 year old rebreather diver and imagining how lacking in responsibility and how compulsive I was when I was in my teens the prospects of anyone diving a rebreather at such a young age does give me pause.

On on yet another hand if I think back on the motorcycle riding, equestrian eventing and a whole host of other crazy things many of us were doing back then that could (and occasionally did) cost our lives I'd have to say: "it's all relative to just how devoted and responsible you are able to be... and there is just no way for me to know that from a few posts of yours on the internet." I'm assuming that your prospective instructor and your father would spend a good healthy amount of time assessing your readiness and proceed accordingly, and making that call is something none of us on this forum really have the business of making.

So, about which rebreather/instructor/agency to choose question. limiting yourself to the type of rebreather and agency that offers certification at your age seems unnecessarily limiting to me and if there is a way around it, I'd think more about what the best rebreather for you is and then work through how to make it all work. First off I'd look around for someone who could be a bit of a mentor to you, someone who could take you under their wing and really get in your head and asses your ability to stay balanced and concentrate and see how you deal with intense feelings such as frustration, fear, anxiety and euphoria. Connecting with a teacher would be key, IMHO, like finding a really good martial arts master. In fact, I'm not sure what Tom Mount is up to lately, but he may just be your ticket: http://www.iantd.com/tom.html

If you are really serious about this, anything is possible.

I'm partial to manual injection rebreathers for divers of any age: KISS, Copis Meg, rEvo... they are all good and available on the used market.

Down the line if you find yourself really needing a fully automated rebreather you can always upgrade.

kind regards,
george

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, At least someone understands where i stand, recently my mentor has been my cousin, although he is not a instructor, he is a Divemaster, Full Cave diver, and Adv Nitrox + Deco Procedures diver, and he has helped me since when i was a Open Water diver, to what i am now,
which is a PADI Master Scuba Diver, TDI Intro to Cave Diver, TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver, PADI Wreck Penetration diver, SDI Solo Diver, among other specialty courses, one of the Course Directors at my lds said i should look into getting certified in a CCR, but other than that the whole surface air supplied diving was never my thing, thats why i am a certified diver, my sac rate is pretty good as well, with an AL 80 at 130' after i convert to depth from 15.13 psi at the surface pretty much gives me aprox 40 mins at depth, i do dive doubles most of the time (usually LP 108's for caves, and LP 121's for ocean), but for some dives i can see how rebreathers would help me. I well know rebreathers are sometimes tagged with the name boxes of death, but i do not see a reason as to not at least try rebreathers, who knows mabey i won't like it, however i will never know untill i try....

I hope you don't take offense... But I think that if you really have less than 200 dives, and are pushing yourself to collect a bunch of cards, and put "face your fears live your dreams" in your signature line, and you're only 16?

Don't act recklessly to prove something. Rebreather divers with too much bravado are the ones who end up being dead rebreather divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom