Want to start PADI tr. for career in scuba w only 5 dives at 57 y/o. please feedback.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which "physical demands" of the IDC are arduous?

I did not say IDC. I mean including all the pre-qualifications also. This was PADI, except for my original Open Water as LA County in 1975.

But, for instance, I recall some hard swims and difficult surf exits on rocky shores, recovering, towing, and carrying 'unconcious patients' during pre-requisite Rescue certification. Etcetera. And the requirements for Divemaster/Instructor included timed swim tests over distance, with and without gear.

Not everyone found it easy. I weighed 150# at the time and I lost ten pounds during my IDC week. A former marine in the group told us it was 'tougher than boot camp.' Our 'finals' were conducted in the ocean immediately after a hurricane, while the beaches were still legally "closed" and visibility was "brown."

Admittedly we had an unusually concientious, thorough, and highly effective Course Director..

Maybe things have changed, or it would have been easier in Florida than the north-east, but it served me well in the real world later on.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you were certified a few years ago and only have 5 dives?

The best advice I could give is to start diving! It would seem to me that you really need to have a passion for diving in order to even think about moving up the ranks to an instructor.

You will need a minimum of 40 dives to even enter the DM training, 60 to get out, and that is really a pretty low number.

Not to discourage you, but if you truly want to do this, then actions speak louder than words.

Go Diving! Alot.

Hi, newbie to the board but i'll throw my 5 cents worth in.

I wouldn't say don't do it, but like everyone else said, don't expect to earn a massive fortune from it. I'm 49, started diving a year ago, have my 40 logged dives plus a pile of speciality cards. I've just started my DM's course and hopefully i'll eventually get to instructor.

BUT

I have a full time job, the internship is done part time in the evenings and at weekends so that I can get dives in, help out at the shop, chat to other divers, maybe help some others into diving. but i'm not looking to make a living out of it (I would love to but i'm a realist)

as others have said, only 5 dives and you qualified a few years ago. When I started I was diving every weekend, or every chance I could get. I would say you don't have the passion for it (at the moment)

Back
Top Bottom